"Just next door to me - Billings, MT" Top 5 Page for this destination Billings by Dymphna1
Billings Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 119 photos
Billings was founded by Fredrick Billings in the 19th century. Billings was a railroad stop that grew. The yard is not as big as it once was and other industries have grown up here. We are the largest city in Montana with about 100,000 people here. The area is still growing, despite the economic downturn in the rest of the country. We are the medical hub for the eastern end of the state. Because of the sparse population it is not unheard of to have to travel long distances to get to a hospital. It maybe over 50 miles between hospitals and they are small. If there is anything major, they will send the patient to Billings.
We also now have 2 refineries/coker plants as major employers, (Conoco & Exxon). Oil is in great abundance in the area, most of it we can't drill for because of laws blocking the drilling. There is also a sugar beet factory, it is a major crop in the surrounding land.
This monument stands in front of the what is considered to be the most haunted place in Billings, the old Parmly building. .
The airport is located on top of what we call the 'rims'. It is a bluff area that rises up in the middle of the city. If you are flying into or out of Billings - sometimes it is better not to watch. When coming in, you are coming in to the area at the top of the rims and sometimes it can be unnerving. Going out, the ground drops away FAST!
The rims give an unique feature to Billings. Many people spend time climbing and repelling here. (The nuts will do the repelling upside down.) The picture is taken from the top of the rims looking down upon the city. On a clear day you can see the Pryor Mountains in the South East and the Beartooth Range to the South West. You vision is at this point spanning better than 100 miles between the two ranges. We truly live up to our name, Big Sky Country. When you look up, there is sky that reaches from horizon to horizon. I will post a few other pictures from here to show the vastness of the sky.
This is the best area for the nightlife. Several of the best restaurants and dance clubs are in the historic sector.
- Pros:Billings is the best of both worlds. It is the most populas, but only a few minutes from the middle of no where.
The food was great. The service was tops. And they have food that is without hormones and other additives. The waitress... more travel advice
Some of the meat is butchered on site. As you enter there small butcher shop in the front. There is also a small pond... more travel advice
- See All Tours
- See All Live Theater
- Medical help
- See All Local tourist must shop
Written Jun 9, 2009
Pictograph Caves - History
Written Sep 8, 2012
Dymphna1's Related Pages
Billings Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Just next door to me - Billings, MT"
- "Billings, Montana"
- "A Little Urban Treasure in "Big Sky" Country!"
- "My New Home Base!!"
- "Billings, Montana"
- "Wish I still lived there"
- "ROAD TRIP: OREGON TO WINNIPET: DAY 2"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Billings
- Hotels in Billings
- Transportation in Billings
- Nightlife in Billings
- Restaurants in Billings
- Shopping in Billings
- Warnings and Dangers in Billings
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Billings
- 37 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Billings?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Billings
- Posted in Travel United States of America Forum "Re: Where next for March April?"
- Commented on one of Dymphna1's Billings travel pages
- Wrote a Review Very different but good in Billings Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Great place"
- updated a Billings Travel Page "Just next door to me - Billings, MT"
- Uploaded a Video to Billings
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Billings Intro, 37 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Anchorage Intro, 11 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anaheim Intro, 13 reviews, 25 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Laurel Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montana Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Pryor Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rapid City Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Red Lodge Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue