"What a state!" Top 5 Page for this destination Montana by Dymphna1

Montana Travel Guide: 1,467 reviews and 3,328 photos

We are bigger than you think

Montana is the 4th largest state in the union. People think it is a quick drive across this state. Surprise LOL you can drive for better than 10 hours and not leave the state. (Bathroom breaks not included.)

We have a vast amount of prairie on the eastern side of the state. Then there are mountains on the western side of the state. We have the northern tip of Yellowstone National Park and the southern end of Glacier National Park.

There are several reservations which have different cultures and laws within the borders. Tribal laws are different inside the borders of the reservation and they have their own police forces. I grew up on the Fort Peck Reservation and it was a different world. See my page Wolf Point to see a beginning of the differences. I also have a page on an event that happens in Hardin every year. Or take a peek at Pryor for a real taste of the past.

Eastern Montana

I live in south central Montana, Park City which is so small it is called a 'bedroom' community because no one is there during the day. We are so small we don't even have a stop light. I work in Laurel which isn't much bigger. It is only about 6 miles on the interstate at 75 mph (or 80 when I don't see any cops).

The biggest city in the state is just east of here Billings. People flock here from all over the eastern end of the state for shopping and medical care. Some even come from Wyoming because we do not have a sales tax!

Also of interest in the area is Pompey's Pillar. This is a known stop of Clark from the Lewis and Clark expiation.

Moving West

One of the jumping off spots to get to Yellowstone National Park is Bozeman. Bozeman's airport is close to two different entrances to the park, Gardner and West Yellowstone. To come in from the NE corner check out Red Lodge which is interesting in it's self. From Red Lodge you can go over the Cook City Highway into the park.

When going between Yellowstone and Glacier there are some great ghost towns to stop at Virginia and Nevada Cities. There are a few places you can really feel the ghosts. Another nice place to stop for the night is at Ennis which is nestled just outside of Virginia and Nevada Cities

Here are a few more places to see in Montana between the two parks:
Canyon Ferry
Nye
Three Forks
Great Falls

• Pros:I will never move.
  • Cons:I will never move.
  • Last visit to Montana: Dec 2009
  • Intro Updated Sep 2, 2012

• zadunajska8's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Montana looks great. I love mountain scenery. Maybe one day...

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I do not seem to have visited your home town on VT...so will enjoy having a look
    By the way have you been to Buck T 4 Big Sky way if I have my terms right?...We were close and thereby hangs a tale.

I talked about looking up and seeing the stars when we visited a property outside Rockhamton Australia...the sky was not obliterated by the artifical lights of towns

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Spent a great couple weeks in MT this summer. Deer Lodge (where my wife is from)and Salmon Lake. Wonderful.
    Happy Birthday Lee Ann!

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I always wanted to visit Montana.. Your pages make me want it even more!

• Paris92's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Congrats on your Barney nomination, Lee Ann! You deserve it! C

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Nice one Lee Ann! Looks like you and Ellen had a time here :o) And yes, it's nice to see the stars in a clear sky isn't it :o) Cheers, Ann xx

• alza's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Happy Birthday Lee Ann! I LOVE the pic of Ellen and you at Garnet, with the VT flag! and hope to see it on VT Homepage one day. Ghost towns are fun! and a heritage to be preserved. :)

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2010 at 4:00 PM

we stayed at the campground and only did the caverns as an afterthought, we were so glad we did! what happened to the lewis and clark caverns tips? The garnet pics came out nice.

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2010 at 1:32 AM

Great pic of you and Ellen. Looks like a nice place to unwind. Dorrise

Dymphna1 Used To Live Here!

Dymphna1

“Wishing I had more places to go this year.”

Badges & Stats in Montana

Have you been to Montana?

Latest Activity in Montana