"History Of Kashgar" Kashgar by aukjejetty
Kashgar Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 258 photos
Kashi, short for Kashgar, was called Shule in ancient times and has a history of more than two thousand years. According to the record of the Persian Epic, Afulabudeyav, an ancient Tulan hero, established the capital of his kingdom here. In the beginning of the Han Dynasty, it belonged to the Zhuangpu Prefectural General's Office of the Hun. In the latter half of the second century B.C, after the Han Dynasty Emperor Wudi sent Zhang Qian as his special envoy to the Western Region, Kashi submitted to the authorities of the western Han Dynasty. During the first century, Kashi was the supreme headquarters of Ban Chao, an imperial general who administered the Western Region. But at the end of the Sui Dynasty and at the beginning of the Tang Dynasty, Kashi had to pay taxes and levies frequently to the Western Turkish Khanate. During the reign of the Tang Dynasty Emperor Taizong and afterwards, it was an important military stronghold of the Tang government. Kashgar was one of the four important towns in Anxi at the time, thus it was made the seat of the Shule Superintendent's Office. The Karakhanid Dynasty also established its capital in Kashgar. Before Genghis Khan went on his western expedition. Kashgar was the south capital of the Western Liao Regime established by Khitans. After Khan's western expedition was over, Kashgar became the fief of the crown prince of Chagatai. During the reign of the Qing Dynasty Emperor Qianlong, Kashi became the seat of government of the Kashgar Councillor of the Qing government.
- In a nutshell:Tradecity between China and Pakistan
The Uyghers make a true piece of art when they make their bread. They decorate it before it goes into the salted oven.... more travel advice
The market in Kashgar is huge (small compared to what it used to be), and there is about anything that you think off for... more travel advice
aukjejetty's Related Pages
Kashgar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kashgar 1992//Kashgar 2007"
- "Kashgar! (or 'Kashi' - Chinese name for Kashgar)"
- "History Of Kashgar"
- "Silk Road Part ii"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kashgar
- Hotels in Kashgar
- Transportation in Kashgar
- Nightlife in Kashgar
- Restaurants in Kashgar
- Shopping in Kashgar
- Warnings and Dangers in Kashgar
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kashgar
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Kashgar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kashgar
Photos in KashgarSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 25 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Rotterdam Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 24 reviews, 22 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cambodia Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Phnom Penh Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
- Ko Chang Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Sulkava Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 9 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (14)
Latest Kashgar hotel reviews
- Seman Hotel
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013