Groningen Things to Do Tips by aukjejetty
Groningen Things to Do: 129 reviews and 164 photos
Groningen has some very interesting shops, just go outside the main center a few streets, like the 'Oude Boteringestraat', and 'Zwanestraat' Because in the Herenstraat (which is the main shoppingstreet) there are only shops you find everywhere else in the Netherlands, and to me that is not the charm of Groningen.
In Groningen there is a fairly new contemporary art museum, it is a funky looking building. I remember the many comments this building got right after it was finished. People hate it, others love it. I love this building, maybe because I love colors, and outside and inside this museum is filled with bright colors.
Sometimes the walls have too much color which is [to me] not always doing right to the art that is hanging on them or standing in front of it. Because the walls have an influence on the artworks.
But the museum is interesting and also has a pleasant library inside where you can indulge in art magazines from all over the world. One part of the museum is a permanent collection with displays of ancient relics, this makes the museum interesting even if you do not like all the contemporary art.
Address: Museumeiland 1
Directions: Opposite the trainstation, you really can't miss this colorful building!
The entrance is € 8
Tower in the Back
Here a picture of the Martini Tower (on the left in the back), from which you have a great view over the city. Since the city has mostly low builidings, you can see far away, and discover all the towers.
In May there is a fair going on for a few days. Normaly there is a market three days a week on that square.
More Reviews (4)
aukjejetty's Related Pages
Groningen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Groningen, a city I love!"
- "Groningen above all."
- "One of the world’s leading bicycle cities"
- "Citizens of Groningen are more courteous"
- "ER IS NIETS BOVEN GRONINGEN"
- "In the old days"
- "VT-meeting I"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Groningen
- Hotels in Groningen
- Transportation in Groningen
- Nightlife in Groningen
- Restaurants in Groningen
- Shopping in Groningen
- Warnings and Dangers in Groningen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Daytona Beach Shores Hotels
- Shidu Hotels
- Pulau Bintan
- Necker Island Hotels
- Patna Hotels
Badges & Stats in Groningen
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Groningen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Groningen
Photos in GroningenSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 25 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Rotterdam Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 24 reviews, 22 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cambodia Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Phnom Penh Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
- Ko Chang Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Sulkava Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 9 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (14)
Latest Groningen hotel reviews
- Golden Tulip Paterswolde Groningen
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 28, 2013
- Hampshire Hotel - Groningen
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Hotel Schimmelpenninck Huys
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Simplon Youthhotel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Stadskanaal
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 24, 2013
- Martini Hotel
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 18, 2013
- Hotel De Doelen
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013
- Eden Cityhotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Hampshire Hotel - Plaza Groningen
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- NH Hotel De Ville
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- NH Groningen
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- Martini Toren - Martini Tower- 11 Reviews, 12 Photos
- City Museum- 12 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Prinsenhof - The Court of the Prince- 5 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Martinikerk - Martini Church- 6 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Goudkantoor - Gold Office- 3 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Maritime Museum- 3 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Der-Aakerk Church- 5 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Korenbeurs- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Gardepoort- 2 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Synagogue- 3 Reviews, 3 Photos
See All Groningen Things to Do