"China, Land of Diversity" China by aukjejetty

China Travel Guide: 30,108 reviews and 85,881 photos

Travelling through a vast country

My first trip to China was in the year 2000. I flew to meet my partner in Beijing and we traveled across the country for seven weeks with stops in Pingyao, Shaolin, Xi'An, Hangzhou, Huangshan, Suzhou, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Shanghai and Yangshuo. I was so happily surprised by the beauty of China, I knew then and now that I want to come back here many times.

My second trip was in 2001, travelling through the north-west of the country. As soon as I entered China from Laos the memory of noise and smoke came back to me. That loudness and those cigarettes will not keep me away from China though, because there is so much to see beyond that.
This time we went to the following places: Jinghong, Kunming, Dali, Lijiang, Zhongdian, Xiangcheng, Litang, Kanding, Chengdu, Lanzhou, Turpan, Kashi, Karakuli, Tashkurgan, KKH into Pakistan

Nationalities

China is a unified state of as many as 56 nationalities. The Han people take the largest number, of about 94 % of the total population, mainly living in the east part of the China. Each nationality has its own long history. The 56 nationalities are the Han, Mongolian, Hui, Tibetan, Uygur, Miao, Yi, Zhuang, Bouyei, Korean, Manchu, Dong, Yao, Bai Tujia, Hani, Kazak, Dai, Li, Lisu, Va, She, Gaoshan, Lahu, Shui, Dongxiang, Naxi, Jingpo, Kirgiz, Tu, Daur, Mulam, Qiang, Blang, Salar, Maonan, Gelo, Xibe, Achang, Pumi, Tajik, Nu, Ozbek, Russian, Ewenki, Benglong, Bonan, Yugur, Jing, Drung, Oroqen, Hezhen, Moinba, Lhoba and Gelo

• Pros:Culture, culture, culture, nature and a lot more
  • Cons:Smoking locals in all the busses, and bad toilets
  • In a nutshell:Every city (or nature site) is an adventure
  • Last visit to China: Jun 2001
  • Intro Updated May 5, 2003

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2005 at 11:38 PM

i too often think about the scenario of sitting too close to an open window..its really quite gross thinking about it! And the toilet you pictured is super clean for china!!!!Show me a real one!!!

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2005 at 1:34 PM

Excellent tips on this vast country!! I am happy the window could not be opened then the only time I took a train in China!!

• artform's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2004 at 10:16 AM

Really enjoyed the advice on travel in China. I loved the pictures, Can't wait to get there. more pictures please.

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2004 at 9:33 AM

Wonderful presentation with very beautiful pictures [the most I love is picture about mountains range and padi field :)] Thanks for sharing!!!

• Jan 5, 2004 at 1:00 PM

Great tour through China!!! Beautiful photos and interesting narration!! Will come back later to read your other pages[always] under construction..;-)

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2004 at 3:05 AM

Thanks for the chopstick lessons Aukje, that will come in really usefull down the local takeaway tonight hehehehehe.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2003 at 1:25 AM

Absolute helpful page about China!! Happy birthday!!!

• babar_1's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2003 at 8:48 AM

Very helpful for those planning to visit China.

• simcard's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2003 at 10:25 PM

very interesting and special tips.. I love the tips about chop sticks.. but I can't find my own way there. Maybe lesson 4 (D)? Or perhaps I do it completely wrong. :-)

• Bonobo2005's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2003 at 3:43 PM

You're seem very much into Chinese culture...makes it a very interesting page... Huang Shan in the mist looks fabulous as well!! Hartstikke goed...!!

aukjejetty

“~ your mind only grows if it is allowed to explore ~”

Badges & Stats in China