"Capital of the Northern Areas" Gilgit by aukjejetty
Gilgit Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 156 photos
Gilgit is the administrative and commercial capital of Northern areas. It is city that seems to live on tradeproducts with China. There are shops with cheap Chinese products all over the centre. But also Afghan and other central asian goods are to be found here.
It is very hot in this city which is 1500 m. high up, it still is a lot lower than the Karakorum Mountains surrounding it. It is not a city that you visit for the beautiful sights or interesting architecture or streets. There is not that much to see. The best thing about Gilget is the central location and the many, many shops where you buy anything. This is where we bought our Pakistani products, it is cheap here.
Leave Gilgit on the road to the karakoram highway. After 10 Km (6miles) turn left to cross the Gilgit River to walk to... more travel advice
aukjejetty's Related Pages
Gilgit Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gilgit The Winner 2011 Polo Festival"
- "Capital of the Northern Areas"
- "GILGIT - A Valley covered by magnificent mountains"
- "A nice place to discover"
- "MY GILGIT"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gilgit
- Hotels in Gilgit
- Transportation in Gilgit
- Restaurants in Gilgit
- Shopping in Gilgit
- Warnings and Dangers in Gilgit
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gilgit
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Gilgit?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gilgit
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 25 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Rotterdam Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 24 reviews, 22 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cambodia Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Phnom Penh Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
- Ko Chang Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Sulkava Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 9 photos