"Beautiful Island, But..." Sumatra by aukjejetty
Sumatra Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 94 photos
For a long time I have been wanting to go to Indonesia. Being dutch, and from Bovensmilde (a village with a large indonesian population) I learned about these islands when I was a kid. I learned how they made their watersystems, how they built there houses, how to cook indonesian food. I even learned some dances. I got my chance by going to Sumatra in 2001.
The Island was truly beautiful, it is so green, with hills that are full of trees. And there is lots of wildlife on the island. The only downside to my Sumatra-adventure was the people. I won't say the people in general, but I met too many people who were desperate for money. I realize ofcourse that we were there at a time when things were just starting to get pretty bad, the government had just undergone a major change and the economy was getting worse, even during the two weeks we were there.
I hope to go back someday when things go better, and I hope my experience of the Sumatran people will change then.
aukjejetty's Related Pages
Sumatra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Wild and Marvelous Land of Sumatra"
- "Scenic Sumatra"
- "Land of monkies and nasi goreng"
- "Beautiful Island, But..."
- "Home of the Orang Utan"
- "Roadtrip: Jakarta - Padang"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sumatra
- Hotels in Sumatra
- Transportation in Sumatra
- Warnings and Dangers in Sumatra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sumatra
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Sumatra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sumatra
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 25 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Rotterdam Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 24 reviews, 22 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cambodia Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Phnom Penh Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
- Ko Chang Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Sulkava Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 9 photos