"A tiny little town, and part of the DC Metro area" Falls Church by gkitzmil
Falls Church Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 11 photos
Falls Church is 20 minutes outside of DC by Metro (subway) and is a key residence location for those attending the Foreign Service Institute (as a friend of mine has done).
Since it is only 20 minutes from central Washington, DC ( by Metro) it can be a convenient spot to visit the U.S. Capitol.
I ended up with a quick stay there because of my friend.
According to various sources, Falls Church was founded in 1699 and is currently one of the TINIEST land areas at only 2.2 square miles. Much of what people think of as Falls Church is NOT within the town. Neither the East Falls Church nor West Falls Church Metro stops are actually in Falls Church.
HOWEVER, there really IS a cute old church to see! According to wikipedia, in 1734 a wooden church was built to serve Truro Parish, which had been formed two years earlier from a larger parish centered in Quantico. By 1757, the building was commonly known as "The Falls Church", as it was along the main north-south road to Great Falls on the Potomac. As the original wooden church fell into decay, George Washington and George William Fairfax were appointed churchwardens to contract for a new building in 1763. Designed by James Wren, the new building was finished in 1769, at which point it became the seat of the newly-formed Fairfax Parish. This building remains to the present day.
There is a beautiful old, stately home (there are several homes noted as historic places) called Tallwood on Broad Street where, according to the Historical Marker, the brother of Pres. Dwight D. Eisenhower lived. Before Dwight became president he stayed here with his brother.
- Pros:cute little town
- Cons:busy, busy, busy
If you Love unusual beer, this is your place! While they also serve Budweiser and iced tea (well, all popular beverages)... more travel advice
gkitzmil's Related Pages
Falls Church Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Falls Church, VA"
- "A tiny little town, and part of the DC Metro area"
- "FALLS CHURCH VIRGINIA"
- "divadsirrah's new Falls Church Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Falls Church
- Hotels in Falls Church
- Restaurants in Falls Church
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Falls Church
- 2 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Falls Church?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Falls Church
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 47 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maastricht Intro, 36 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Indianapolis Intro, 35 reviews, 40 photos
- Zagreb Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bloomington Intro, 32 reviews, 27 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 26 reviews, 27 photos
- Mexico Intro, 26 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nashville Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Indiana Intro, 15 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Falls Church hotel reviews
- Doubletree Hotel & Executive Meeting Center-Tysons Corner
- 267 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Comfort Inn Washington Gateway West
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Towneplace Suites By Marriott Falls Church
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Best Western Falls Church Inn
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013