"Great city center plus districts - Indianapolis" Indianapolis by gkitzmil
Indianapolis Travel Guide: 582 reviews and 1,097 photos
Indy is a great town, not too big but a great downtown area and neighborhoods!
Indianapolis has neighborhoods and districts. In central Indianapolis (Downtown) there is the Mass Av district (just East), the Canal district (just West), the Warehouse district (central south), the Indiana Av district (just northwest), The Circle and Monuments district (central and near north) all within a 5-10 minute walk of the absolute center and an easy walk from central hotels!
In addition, there is the Fountain Square district (just South East) and the less known near Old Southside district (just South) each about a five minute drive from the center.
In 10-15 minutes by car, 20 mins buy bus there is the Broad Ripple district (North on College Av) with restaurants and nightlife and a music/comedy venue. Plus there is both a rails-to-trails walking trail (the Monon Trail) and a canal through Broad Ripple.
There are many other residential and shopping districts such as Avon, Fishers, Southport, Greenwood, Greenfield, etc.
Indianapolis has grown up! I lived in Indianapolis part of the time during 2007 and 2008. I also lived in this city several times in the past, including as a child.
I LOVE many of the restaurants, pubs. and monuments!
More pictures to come....
Indianapolis has often and again in 2009 is listed as one of the lowest cost places to own real estate.
The Canal district is an easy walk of about five - ten minutes from the center directly West. Friends who live in this district love it. Walking along the canal is wonderful as it stretches from a row of nice museums actually at Market Street, north to 11th Street - a distance of ten blocks.
Indianapolis is the World Home of Motor Sports Racing with more teams and suppliers than any other city in the World. It is home to the Indianapolis 500 (IRL), Brickyard 400 (NASCAR) and the Grand Nationals Drags at Indianapolis Raceway Park
Photo above courtesy of Indianapolis Motor Speedway
for local weather click here
YET INDIANAPOLIS OFFERS MUCH MORE...
Indianapolis is an ignored Midwestern City. While not world-class it is a gem that has recently been renewed.
- Pros:vibrant central city, renewing real estate, low cost
- Cons:probably still a bit 'midwestern' for some people
- In a nutshell:a nice "hometown"
This is a gathering place for large events. This is not "find dining" but for a gathering of 10-30 family members or... more travel advice
Great outside seating on two levels plus two quaint pub areas inside - the upper with a city view. I've enjoyed the sun... more travel advice
- See All convenient and dog friendly
- See All from HOT to COLD
- just say HI
- See All BEER IN A NICE NEIGHBORHOOD
gkitzmil's Related Pages
Indianapolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "INDIANAPOLIS: Artist, Athlete, Historian, Patiot"
- "The Circle City"
- "indianapolis, in"
- "Fast, yet Friendly City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Indianapolis
- Hotels in Indianapolis
- Transportation in Indianapolis
- Nightlife in Indianapolis
- Restaurants in Indianapolis
- Shopping in Indianapolis
- Warnings and Dangers in Indianapolis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Indianapolis
- 35 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Indianapolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Indianapolis
- updated a Indianapolis Travel Page "Great city center plus districts - Indianapolis"
- Posted in Travel Forum "Re: Holiday in States"
- Wrote a Review Good gathering place for comfort food in Indianapolis Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Good gathering place for comfort food"
- Commented on one of GlobalMatt's Indianapolis travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 47 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maastricht Intro, 36 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Indianapolis Intro, 35 reviews, 40 photos
- Zagreb Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bloomington Intro, 32 reviews, 27 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 26 reviews, 27 photos
- Mexico Intro, 26 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nashville Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Indiana Intro, 15 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue