"Greg's Local Tips" Top 5 Page for this destination Bloomington by gkitzmil
Bloomington Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 60 photos
Bloomington, Indiana is the home of Indiana University, but is also quite a nice town
I already built an IU travelogue on my Indiana Page so please look there. Otherwise, Bloomington is a somewhat diverse town because of the many students from many countries who come here. Bloomington, DO NOT come here looking for the Mall of America.:-) as that is in MN not IN
There are restaurants representing Thai food, Japanese food, Tibetan food (the Dhali Llama visit regularly), Ethiopian food, and many more. I love the Mexican food here though it is not as good in Mexico! Bloomington still has a vibrant town square. Oh, and it has ME!
Monroe County was created by an Act of the Indiana General Assembly in 1818. Its present county boundaries were established by 1836. Bloomington first became a settlement about 1816 when President James Monroe selected the site for a seminary. A few people had settled here, probably because it was on a trading route, springwater was available in abundance and drainage was good. In 1818 the settlement was surveyed and losts were sold to create a town that was made the county seat of the newly established Monroe County.
In 1820 the state confirmed Bloomington as the site of Indiana University, at that time called Indiana Seminary. The site was then near the center of population of the state. The location her of the university has had a major influence upon the growth adn development of the town.
There are many legends surrounding the naming of Bloomington. One oral tradition maintains that the name was suggested when a group of early settlers, gazing from a hill overlooking the site, were impressed by the flowers and foliage which were in bloom. Another legend suggests that the name honors an early settler, William Bloom.
local weather click here
Bloomington is also a great hometown. It is the current home of singer John Mellencamp, of many famous artists, writers, and many others of us who love a small town but one with many restaurants and a beautiful setting.
If you like this page, please rate it. Not so many people do and I'd love to know of you like it -- thanks, Greg
During 2009 I plan to take more pictures around town. Kirkwood Avenue and the Town Square are great areas to find restaurants.
My favorite restaurants but NOT in a rank order include:
Nick's as a Bloomington tradition
Crazy Horse (great beer selection)
Lennie's (and the Bloomington Brewing Company)
Samira for unusual Afghan cuisine
the Farm for a great slow food concept
Talent for wonderful owners and haute cuisine
Longhorn Steakhouse as best CHAIN in town
Yogi's for second best beer selection and good food
- Pros:Small Town that embraces all types of people
- Cons:no negatives but the airport is 1 hour away
- In a nutshell:variety
If you want GOOD coffee, at a reasonable price, and to know that you are at least getting some of the price of your cup... more travel advice
MANY years ago People magazine chose Mother Bear's Pizza in Bloomington as one of America's top pizza parlors -- and... more travel advice
- See All come Saturday for a HUGE local farmer's...
- See All Nice rooms, convenient (with car), lower...
- MOST FAMOUS COLLEGE BICYCLE RACE
- See All great wine
gkitzmil's Related Pages
Bloomington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bloomington-home of my alma mater"
- "Bloomington - Home of the Hoosiers"
- "Greg's Local Tips"
- "In the Heart of IN"
- "Surprizingly Wonderful Town"
- "bloomington, indiana, usa"
- "Getting My Money's Worth In Bloomington"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bloomington
- Hotels in Bloomington
- Transportation in Bloomington
- Nightlife in Bloomington
- Restaurants in Bloomington
- Shopping in Bloomington
- Warnings and Dangers in Bloomington
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bloomington
- 32 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 82 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Bloomington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bloomington
- Posted in Travel Forum "Re: Holiday in States"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The downtown area encompasses..."
- Wrote a Review come Saturday for a HUGE local farmer's market in Bloomington Things to Do
- updated a Bloomington Travel Page "Greg's Local Tips"
- Commented on one of sambarnett's Bloomington travel pages
Photos in BloomingtonSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 47 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maastricht Intro, 36 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Indianapolis Intro, 35 reviews, 40 photos
- Zagreb Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bloomington Intro, 32 reviews, 27 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 26 reviews, 27 photos
- Mexico Intro, 26 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nashville Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Indiana Intro, 15 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Bloomington hotel reviews
- Fourwinds Resort And Marina
- 144 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Crowne Plaza Bloomington Hotel
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Motel 6 Bloomington - Indiana University
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Country Hearth Inn Bloomington
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Bloomington
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Indiana Memorian Union Hotel and Conference Center
- 127 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Scholars Inn
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hampton Inn & Suites Bloomington
- 143 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Grant Street Inn
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Bloomington Travelodge
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013