"my brief encounter with BC" Province of British Columbia by gkitzmil

Province of British Columbia Travel Guide: 8,879 reviews and 20,487 photos

How brief?

While I've visited Seattle, USA, several times I'd not been to BC. Last year I was scheduled for a meeting in BC and I literally flew in for the day. I overnighted in Calgary (of course, not in BC, but a fun destination) and I flew in first thing in the AM to Kelowna, had the meeting, drove to wine country for lunch and to explore, and caught an early PM flight back to Calgary!!

Yet this really makes me want to go back!

Kelowna is the largest city in British Columbia’s Okanagan Valley, which is located in the south central region of the province. Easily accessible by car, bus and air, we’re 150 km. (90 miles) north of the United States border and 395 km. (247 miles) east of Vancouver.

Kelowna has become the main marketing and distribution centre of the Okanagan Valley, with a flourishing tree fruit industry and a growing light industrial sector that competes on a world scale. Best known for forestry and the manufacture of boats, plastics, fibreglass, body armour and oil field equipment, Kelowna also has a growing high technology sector that includes aerospace development and service.

Kelowna's airport is the 11th busiest in Canada with approximately 35 scheduled flights a day; it's also one of the fastest growing in North America and a multi-year expansion plan is nearing completion. In addition Skyreach Place, a 6,000-seat multi-purpose facility that’s home to the Kelowna Rockets of the Western Hockey League, attracts major entertainers and events.

In 2010, B.C. will welcome the world for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games in Vancouver and Whistler.

• Pros:I MUST EXPLORE MORE
  • Cons:Far from me
  • Last visit to Province of British Columbia: Aug 2002
  • Intro Written Oct 6, 2003

Comments

gkitzmil

“diversity and experience are fuel for life”

Badges & Stats in Province of British Columbia

Have you been to Province of British Columbia?

Latest Activity in Province of British Columbia