"Winsor- The castle and a quite little town" Windsor by geetamallya
Windsor Travel Guide: 417 reviews and 1,108 photos
We live in london and travelled by the south west train from waterloo station. We started early in the day, so the ticket didn't cost us much. And since we booked the return as well, in total for 2 of us it came up to about 16 pounds. I had a lot of expectations from the train journey. Hoping to see the beautiful english country side. Sadly it wasnt very sunny and the country side didn't really wow me. But it was lush green and beautiful anyways.
The castle is just massive and amazing. The ticket costs about 16 pounds per person, and comes with an audio guide. The audio guide is quite helpful, and gives a good background to each section of the castle.
Within the castle, there is the St George's castle. Such a brilliant work of art and architecture. Photography is not allowed here unfrotunately. The painted glass windows and the Gothic archetecture with the carved marbles/stones pillars, is just truly beautiful.
Close to the chapel, takes place the changing of the gaurds at 11:00 AM most mornings. I didn't find this very interesting, but I understand its an important and a very serious activity for the royal gaurds.
The next two buildings are the doll house and state rooms. Again photography is not allowed. But its very interesting to see the rooms, which gives an insight into the royal life, but also a chance to see some amazing art work, in the form of paintings, beautiful furnitures, chinawares from the royal collection.
The tickets if bought from the castle, if stamped, can be re-used for upto a year for free return to the castle.
- Pros:Good 4 hours spent in the castle
- Cons:nothing else at Windsor to do really
- In a nutshell:Worth the Trip
Close to the castle, there is shop which lets customers hire victorian or Tudor clothings full will accessories. So you... more travel advice
geetamallya's Related Pages
Windsor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My biased viewpoint"
- "Royal Windsor - Home of the Queen"
- "Windsor Castle"
- "The Splendours of Windsor"
- "Windsor-the royal residences."
- "Historic and Lovely Windsor"
- " Windsor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Windsor
- Hotels in Windsor
- Transportation in Windsor
- Nightlife in Windsor
- Restaurants in Windsor
- Shopping in Windsor
- Warnings and Dangers in Windsor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Windsor
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Windsor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Windsor
Photos in WindsorSee All Photos (3)
Videos in WindsorSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Bali Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Windsor Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- State of Kerala Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Paris 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Bangalore 2 reviews
- Mysore 1 review