"Travel light and often" Lurchizo's Profile

Ah, Virtual Tourist - it is a great thing and it is a bad thing. It is an incredible resource that prepares you for future travel and a great way to meet like-minded people and share stories. The only bad thing is you can waste entire days just surfing through looking at other people's photographs and dreaming about places you would like to go. Work productivity seems to have decreased since I became a member...

Travel is a great way to educate yourself about other countries and cultures far beyond what a book can teach you. I think particularly about the people of Cuba. Cuba is one of my most favorite places to go and have been there a half dozen times. I have recently begun to stay in people's houses that I meet along the way and drive the path instead of the road in order to learn more about Cuba and enjoy the people and their ways. The Cuban people are some of the most friendly, warm and kind people I have met and I try to educate my American friends that the average Cuban person does not harbour any ill will towards them despite the war of words and rhetoric from the respective governments.

I have started started doing much heavier traveling in the last 4-5 years and have been trying to add 2-3 countries per year. I particularily enjoy the Latin countries of Central America and have just returned from Costa Rica. The laid back friendly lifestyle of the Latin countries is a very nice break from our rush rush way of life in North America chasing the almighty dollar. The Latin love of music and good food always draws me back for a few weeks of wandering around from town to town and enjoying the company of these great people.

2009 was my first foray into European travel and it was most outstanding for someone who comes from a relarively "young" country where buildings are only 100-200 years old and then to go to a city like Prague where buildings are 800 years old. I knocked off Germany, Czech, Slovak, Austria and Hungary. No question Prage and Budapest were my favorite with Salzburg not far behind.

I look to return in May 2010 to tour Southern France and Northern Italy to take in the legendary wine and food of these great areas. Also on the radar in late 2010 would be a return to Central America to drive through the Southern part of Costa Rica and into Panama or perhaps to drive from Guatemala to Costa Rica with friends. May of 2011 looks like Southern Spain and into Morocco.

Travel light and travel often. I like to actually do little in the way of advance booking or planning as some of the best moments I have had when traveling were spur of the moment and improvised along the way. We laughed our way around Costa Rica in a beat up old 1996 jeep we rented and after refusing a GPS we got to see great things and people will driving around dirt roads using a map and maybe getting lost a few times along the way. I prefer to stay in a $7 motel in Guatemala then a fancy resort - really what do you get to learn about people in one of those?

I am enjoying my first year here at VT and look forward to chatting with members about future travel plans and who knows, maybe meet a few of you along the way for a beer.

• Intro Written Jan 31, 2010

Personal Pages (1)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Lurchizo's Profile Photo

Lurchizo

“Maps? We don't need no stinkin' maps!!!”

Ranked Member