"Eberhard's new Page on North Poland" Gdansk by Eberhard
Gdansk Travel Guide: 1,214 reviews and 3,682 photos
Shortly after I retired from work in February 2000 I saw an advertisement concerning a rail cruise (I do not know whether that is the right term) through North Poland and Kaliningrad (Königsberg) in Russia. This attracted me for two reasons: the method of travel and the travel destination. One week in a dedicated (ancient first class) train with overnight stay in hotels through an area which always attracted me before, but where I could not go during the cold war. This part of Poland belonged (during certain periods until 1945) to Germany and I still learned on school the German Names: “Masuren- Königsberg- Danzig.”
In general, this rail cruise had all the advantages and disadvantages an organized tour has. Your flexibility is minimal, but your efforts to organize things are minimal too. Contacts to the co-travellers was excellent (six in the compartment, about thirty in the guided group, and about 200 in the total train), polish guides were available all the time (the same, plus special guides at the various places), but contacts to the population rather limited due to the nature of the arrangements.
I enjoyed this way of travelling as I never did this before, but in the long run I prefer to make my own individual arrangements.
There is still a lot of difference between the big and bigger cities and the villages in the country. While, as usual,... more travel advice
Eberhard's Related Pages
Gdansk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Freedom, Solidarity and German heritage"
- "Gdansk - the great city."
- "Gdansk - Capital of the Tri-city"
- "Gdansk - German spirit port of Poland"
- "I LOVED GDANSK!"
- "Gdansk - A Phoenix Risen From the Ashes"
- "The Treasures of Gdansk"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gdansk
- Hotels in Gdansk
- Transportation in Gdansk
- Nightlife in Gdansk
- Restaurants in Gdansk
- Shopping in Gdansk
- Warnings and Dangers in Gdansk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gdansk
- 9 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Gdansk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gdansk
Photos in GdanskSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Troisvierges Intro, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gdansk Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salamanca Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vietnam Intro, 11 reviews, 5 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos
- Laos Intro, 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Turkey Intro, 8 reviews, 3 photos
- Singapore 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Krakow Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Luxembourg Intro, 1 photo
No friends yet.