"Friedberg" Friedberg by MD2nd
Friedberg Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 86 photos
In Friedberg, one can view the old city walls, the historic town hall, the Marie Fountain, various churches, and the Wittelsbach Castle - complete with museum and observation tower. The city provides regular or custom guided tours. Find suggestions on thespeedyturtle.com/germany.
Also I think Nemorino's Friedberg page is really great. Cycling Friedberg whoaa! For tips and informations pls look up there.
Castles on the Burgberg of Friedberg in Hesse have a long history. In ancient Germanic times there already existed a small stronghold which was conquered by the Romans in 11 b.C. The Romans erected a fortress at this location, which was an important part of the Roman defense lines until the 3rd century.
About 1145 King Conrad III of the Hohenstaufen dynasty of the Holy Roman Empire founded Friedberg Castle as an empire castle. With 39,000 square meters this castle has the biggest castle areal in Germany. The emperor invested a burgrave, knigths from the surrounding Wetterau became the garrison. In 1170 the city of Friedberg was founded and received the status of a free Empire-city by emperor Frederick Barbarossa..
As a Military page mentions, does Friedberg's history as a garrison town go back to 1645 when a company was formed there to guard the castle. Ray Barracks was originally built in 1900, known as Wattrum Kaserne, and used during WWI and WWII. During WWI, captured Russian, French, and English officers were confined to the kaserne. During WWII, the kaserne was occupied by two German infantry battalions. The first American units occupied the kaserne in 1945. Among the famous personalities who have served at Ray Barracks is the late Elvis Presley,
Little read about it on on my earlier Friedberg page
- Pros:Lovely, hilly, and historic city with friendly folks keep that spot cosy.
- Cons:Many cars running up and down through narrow center.
- In a nutshell:With a little stroll around castle and town, Friedberg is a nice opportunity to take some time out.
MD2nd's Related Pages
Friedberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cycling in and around Friedberg (Hessen)"
- "Easter Walk to Friedberg"
- "Elvis - destination Friedberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Friedberg
- Transportation in Friedberg
- Nightlife in Friedberg
- Restaurants in Friedberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Friedberg
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Friedberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Friedberg
Photos in FriedbergSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 32 reviews, 94 photos
- Horn-Bad Meinberg Intro, 24 reviews, 65 photos
- Caputh Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Rinteln Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos
- Ferch Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
- Bad Pyrmont Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Bonames Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos
- Potsdam Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Höxter Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos
- Timmendorfer Strand Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos