"Potsdam" Potsdam by MD2nd
Potsdam Travel Guide: 389 reviews and 1,271 photos
Potsdam is only half an hour away from Berlin's southern district of Zehlendorf whether one takes any public system or car. It's been a year that I was visiting in Potsdam and I must say a lot has changed - and I would say for the better. Though Potsdam was always considered a magnet for day-travelers, and a must see for visitors of Berlin-Brandenburg yet Potsdam is not only and all about Sanssouci-sightseeing!
Potsdam is the beautiful capital of the state of Brandenburg with many wonderful sights and very friendly locals. And they now have a Janny's ice cafe too. Similar lovely & yummy to Janny's ice cafe in Erkner. In fact I haven't seen any Janny's in the western parts of Germany. Sure there are areas in the town where it's obvious that still many reparations need to be done yet it's a place very worth to visit with or without Sanssouci.
The Potsdam Conference was held at Cecilienhof, the home of Crown Prince Wilhelm Hohenzollern, in Potsdam, occupied Germany, from 16 July to 2 August 1945. Participants were the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The three nations were represented by Communist Party General Secretary Joseph Stalin, Prime Ministers Winston Churchill and later Clement Attlee, and President Harry S. Truman. Stalin, Churchill, and Truman — as well as Attlee, who participated alongside Churchill, awaiting the outcome of the 1945 general election, and then replaced Churchill as Prime Minister after the Labour Party's victory over the Conservatives — gathered to decide how to administer punishment to the defeated Nazi Germany, which had agreed to unconditional surrender nine weeks earlier, on May 8 (V-E Day). The goals of the conference also included the establishment of post-war order, peace treaties issues, and countering the effects of war.
- Pros:Close to Berlin, then def. Janny's ice cafe and Subway.
- Cons:Can't think of any.
- In a nutshell:Not just that Brandenburg boys/folks look very attractive, they are friendly & hospitable too.
Since we arrived there around the closing hour, we couldn't check out Studio Babelsberg but it does look interesting to... more travel advice
Since the meals we ordered were Vegetarian, except for a few slices of ham that came with the salad, I can't say... more travel advice
MD2nd's Related Pages
Potsdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sanssouci Royal Park"
- "Potsdam, More than Princes, Parks and Palaces"
- "Potsdam - town of palaces, parks and water"
- "Potsdam for a dessert after Berlin"
- "Potsdam and Cecilienhof"
- "Palaces and History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Potsdam
- Hotels in Potsdam
- Transportation in Potsdam
- Nightlife in Potsdam
- Restaurants in Potsdam
- Shopping in Potsdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Potsdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Potsdam
- 13 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Potsdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Potsdam
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 32 reviews, 94 photos
- Horn-Bad Meinberg Intro, 24 reviews, 65 photos
- Caputh Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Rinteln Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos
- Ferch Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
- Bad Pyrmont Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Bonames Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos
- Potsdam Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Höxter Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos
- Timmendorfer Strand Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos