"Saarbruecken" Top 5 Page for this destination Saarbrücken by MD2nd
Saarbrücken Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 187 photos
Saarbruecken, the capital of Germany's state Saarland, is this year’s focal point for the German Unity Day's celebrations. The celebrations move from state to state each year, based on which state helms the upper house of parliament. At Germany's reunification festival in Saarbruecken, Chancellor Mrs. Merkel said that German unity “didn’t fall from the heavens. It was the result of bravery, decisiveness and civic courage.” In praising the work of civil society and dissidents in East Germany, Chancellor Mrs. Merkel said the spirit of the peaceful revolution in 1989 should be example to Germans today. After September 27/2009 election, which returned Christian Democratic Union to another term in office, Chancellor Mrs. Merkel also appealed to Germans of all stripes to work together.
Saarbruecken lies in a wide, green valley which landscape is formed mainly due to the impact of the Saar river, and a chain of lovely hills.
Saarbruecken's name comes from Celtic, and means flowing waters. The word fragment Briga (bruecke) is translated as large stone. Referring to the rocks of the old bridge built over the first castle.
- Pros:Beautiful region.
- Cons:Much traffic.
- In a nutshell:Everything seems close to each other.
When I was visiting in Germany's state of Saarland, gf & her hubby, and me made a nice, little sight seeing trip to... more travel advice
MD2nd's Related Pages
Saarbrücken Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Opera in Saarbrücken"
- "The bridges over the Saar"
- "Bonio goes to Saarbrücken"
- "What to expect???"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saarbrücken
- Hotels in Saarbrücken
- Transportation in Saarbrücken
- Nightlife in Saarbrücken
- Restaurants in Saarbrücken
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saarbrücken
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Saarbrücken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saarbrücken
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 32 reviews, 94 photos
- Horn-Bad Meinberg Intro, 24 reviews, 65 photos
- Caputh Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Rinteln Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos
- Ferch Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
- Bad Pyrmont Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Bonames Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos
- Potsdam Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Höxter Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Wimpfen Intro, 8 reviews, 35 photos