"Soest" Soest by MD2nd
Soest Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 33 photos
Soest, a city of about 50. 000 inhabitants, has in fact the most marvelous Christmas Market of all Christmas Markets I've been to. Strolling over Soest's Christmas Market, does nothing but putting a huge smile on one's face. Lovingly decorated stalls of the Christmas Market are picturesquely situated between the imposing green sandstone churches and the historical half-timbered houses. There is a daily stage program with Christmas related performances. Senior citizens read fairy tales to children, a Christmas Angel opens door of the day of the large Advent calendar, and a trumpet player climbs the steps to the church tower each evening to play familiar carols, and a Westphalian nativity scene can be admired in the Cathedral of Saint Patroclus.
To me the most marvelous, most recommendable Christmas Markets, are:
1) Soest's Christmas Market
2) Rinteln's Christmas Market
3) Bueckeburg's Christmas Market
4) Osnabrueck's Christmas Market
5) Hoexter's Christmas Market
The old Westphalian town Soest lies on the northern edge of Sauerland. It has beautiful churches, many half-timbered houses, gothic buildings, and an almost completely preserved ring of town wall, which I found is the main part of Soest's beauty - a former fortification.
- Pros:Former fortification that kept its very charm. Most beautiful Christmas Market is to be found in Soest.
- Cons:Roads in town's center are small, parking places are little.
- In a nutshell:Doing a walk on town's wall feels magical.
Lovingly decorated stalls of the Christmas Market are picturesquely situated between the imposing green sandstone... more travel advice
A sister city to Soest is Mishawaka in Indiana, US. This American city (of about 47.000 inhabitants) lies on St. Joseph... more travel advice
MD2nd's Related Pages
Soest Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Soest
- 4 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Soest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Soest
Photos in SoestSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 32 reviews, 94 photos
- Horn-Bad Meinberg Intro, 24 reviews, 65 photos
- Caputh Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Rinteln Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos
- Ferch Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
- Bad Pyrmont Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Bonames Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos
- Potsdam Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Höxter Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Wimpfen Intro, 8 reviews, 35 photos