"Waldeck" Waldeck by MD2nd
Waldeck Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 42 photos
Waldeck is a little town with about 7 300 inhabitants, and lies on Edersee, a man-made lake in Germany's state of Hesse. Edersee, Germany's third largest reservoir, was created by the construction of the Eder dam in 1914. The dam was designed to help regulate water levels for shipping on the Weser river and to generate hydroelectricity.
Waldeck borders in the north on the community of Twistetal, in the northeast on the town of Bad Arolsen, in the east on the towns of Wolfhagen and Naumburg, in the south on the community of Edertal, and in the west on the community of Voehl and the town of Korbach.
The first evidence of settlement at Waldeck comes from the year 1232 when a document from the Netze Monastery mentioned the universitas civitatis de waldeke. The town's first seal was acquired in 1266, and the town had its first historically verifiable mayor in 1311. Until the beginning of the 20th century, Waldeck's population barely exceeded 400.
Waldeck was the residence of the Counts of Waldeck who, beginning around 1200, gradually gathered a sizeable realm under their control and, having added the county of Pyrmont to their holdings through inheritance, were elevated to Princes of Waldeck-Pyrmont in 1712. In 1655, the residence was transferred to Arolsen, and Waldeck lost its importance.
- Pros:Little spot that's worth to stop by. It's on autobahn 7 beautifully located nevertheless.
- Cons:Not easy to get around for handicapped ppl.
- In a nutshell:Wonderful wind and water while above the ground at Waldeck castle.
Trainees of building trade Korbach did some great work with re-building this castle's pillory (as the photo shows). It's... more travel advice
MD2nd's Related Pages
Waldeck Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Waldeck
- Hotels in Waldeck
- Transportation in Waldeck
- Restaurants in Waldeck
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Waldeck
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Waldeck?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waldeck
Photos in WaldeckSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 32 reviews, 94 photos
- Horn-Bad Meinberg Intro, 24 reviews, 65 photos
- Caputh Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Rinteln Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos
- Ferch Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
- Bad Pyrmont Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Bonames Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos
- Potsdam Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Höxter Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos
- Timmendorfer Strand Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (23)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (1)
Latest Waldeck hotel reviews
- Hotel Schloss Waldeck
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013