"Bad Wimpfen" Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Wimpfen by MD2nd
Bad Wimpfen Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 374 photos
Wimpfen’s history becomes more substantial with the invasion of the Romans. In the second half of the 1st century AD, having defeated the Gauls and arriving at the Rhine and Danube rivers, the Romans under Emperor Domitian began correcting the borders of the area, eventually conquering the so-called Decumat country. This new border of the Roman empire, also called the upper German limes, was safeguarded by a system of castles.
Workmen and merchants seeking protection settled there and numerous farms in the surrounding countryside became affiliated to the town. As the emperor Antonius Pius advanced the limes further to the north-east and the fort lost its military importance, a large settlement had already formed which, as excavations from 1983 to 1987 clearly prove, was one of the most important towns in the Decumat country, along with Ladenburg and Rottweil.
The Blue Tower, here in the far back, is the imposing emblem of the town, with its impressive height of 58,75m. It is worth climbing the 167 steps to the platform at a height of 32m, where the effort is rewarded by a breathtaking view of the medieval old town far across the Neckar valley.
- Pros:Has numerous sights that give visitors a sense of a loveliest, old world's town. Just like Alan said.
- Cons:Definitively not a spot for ppl with handicap.
- In a nutshell:Soak up the small town's charm.
Since the Guttenberg knight’s castle was built in the Middle Ages it has been continuously lived in, and escaped... more travel advice
The American Bald Eagle is the symbol for the Unites States. The eagle became the national symbol in 1782 when the Great... more travel advice
MD2nd's Related Pages
Bad Wimpfen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bad Wimpfen am Berg"
- "THE HISTORICAL OLD TOWN OF BAD WIMPFEN"
- "Bad Wimpfen - like a page out of the history book"
- "BAD WIMPFEN - WONDERFUL FACHWERK BUILDINGS"
- "Bad Wimpfen"
- "Bad Wimpfen - Quaint Timber Houses & a Blue Tower!"
- "Bad Wimpfen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bad Wimpfen
- Transportation in Bad Wimpfen
- Restaurants in Bad Wimpfen
- Shopping in Bad Wimpfen
- Warnings and Dangers in Bad Wimpfen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bad Wimpfen
- 8 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Bad Wimpfen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bad Wimpfen
Photos in Bad WimpfenSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 32 reviews, 94 photos
- Horn-Bad Meinberg Intro, 24 reviews, 65 photos
- Caputh Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Rinteln Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos
- Ferch Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
- Bad Pyrmont Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Bonames Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos
- Potsdam Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Höxter Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos
- Timmendorfer Strand Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos