"Bueckeburg" Bückeburg by MD2nd
Bückeburg Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 13 photos
The town of Bueckeburg owes its origins to a moated castle built around 1300. When Prince Ernst of Holstein-Schaumburg (1601-1622), one of the most significant rulers of his time, chose the Palace of Bueckeburg (former moated castle) as his seat of residence, and declared the town as the seat of government, culture in Schaumburg began to flourish.
After the division of Schaumburg, Bueckeburg became the capital of Schaumburg-Lippe. The most famous ruler was Earl Wilhelm (1748-1777), who made a name for himself as a military commander, and also achieved for Bueckeburg a permanent place in German intellectual history.
In the course of the 20th century, Bueckeburg underwent numerous serious modifications. In 1946 Bueckeburg became annexed to the State of Westphalia and finally to the newly-formed State of Lower Saxony. Until recently, Bueckeburg had a number of British residents, being a former British garrison town.
From all the buildings which were erected at that time, Bueckeburg's Town Church must first and foremost be mentioned, since it is one of the most superb examples of Weser Renaissance and even today still dominates the townscape. The Town Church was one of the first Lutheran churches built after the Reformation. It is known for its pulpit and especially for the ornately decorated bronze-cast font, made by the Dutch artist Adriaen de Vries.
Very idyllic environment for another marvelous Christmas Market which even offers an ice skating loop. Did my first ice skating there. Luckily I've been in such patient company providing me with humorous hints how to deal with metal blade on ice.
- Pros:Easy to find parking spots even close to town's center.
- Cons:Not much of public system.
- In a nutshell:Beautiful like a picture on a box of chocolates.
Most inviting part of this Restaurant Le Bistro, is the fact that they do make space enough for non-smokers by separated... more travel advice
MD2nd's Related Pages
Bückeburg Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bückeburg
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Bückeburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bückeburg
Photos in BückeburgSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 32 reviews, 94 photos
- Caputh Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Horn-Bad Meinberg Intro, 21 reviews, 54 photos
- Ferch Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
- Rinteln Intro, 14 reviews, 52 photos
- Bad Pyrmont Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Bonames Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos
- Potsdam Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Timmendorfer Strand Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos
- Bad Wimpfen Intro, 8 reviews, 35 photos