"Eisenach" Eisenach by MD2nd
Eisenach Travel Guide: 103 reviews and 372 photos
This is really what I like about Germany: one easily can drive up (even for a day trip only, and without speeding) a couples of different states (Bundeslaender) in less than 3 hrs like we did with an hop of an hour from Hesse to neighboring Thuringia. Terrific! I just love it! Can't praise enough the fall of the "Iron Curtain"!! And nope, ain't out of former GDR but Hesse born.
Eisenach is situated between the northern foothills of the Thuringian Forest and the Hainich National Park. Its population is about 44. 000.
The history of Eisenach is linked with the Wartburg Castle, which was built according to legend in 1067. There were at least three settlements below the castle, that merged to a common city in the second half of the 12th century. Eisenach was first mentioned in 1180.
After the Thuringian War of Succession (1247–1264) Eisenach became subject to the Wettin dynasty of Meißen. Later several mini states were established in what is now Thuringia, and Eisenach became a principality on its own in 1521. In 1809 Eisenach became part of the duchy of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach.
Eisenach was the place where Martin Luther lived as a child, although he was not born there, and later for his receiving protection by Frederick the Wise after having been pursued for his religious views. It was while he was staying at Wartburg Castle that he translated the New Testament into German.
The town is famous as the birthplace of Johann Sebastian Bach as well.
- Pros:Lovely, friendly city that keeps its green surroundings, and strictly supports non-smoking spots. Two thumbs up for that!!
- Cons:Much, and way too fast going traffic through down town.
- In a nutshell:Great place! Yet, the Wartburg Castle in my opinion is over estimated (as a tourist attraction).
Haven't been there but saw their sign while hiking up to the Wartburg Castle, and thought it's absolutely pleasant to... more travel advice
Haven't been in Eisenach by train. Been to train station nevertheless (to get newspaper), and was very surprised by this... more travel advice
MD2nd's Related Pages
Eisenach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wartburg, lots of vintage-Wartburgs & a lot more"
- "Eisenach - where history and legends intertwine"
- "My Eisenach"
- "Eisenach: from Bach to Egk"
- "Eisenach Page"
- "JS Bach, born and baptised in Eisenach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eisenach
- Hotels in Eisenach
- Transportation in Eisenach
- Restaurants in Eisenach
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Eisenach
- 7 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Eisenach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eisenach
Photos in EisenachSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 32 reviews, 94 photos
- Horn-Bad Meinberg Intro, 24 reviews, 65 photos
- Caputh Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Rinteln Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos
- Ferch Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
- Bad Pyrmont Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Bonames Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos
- Potsdam Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Höxter Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos
- Bad Wimpfen Intro, 8 reviews, 35 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (23)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (1)
Latest Eisenach hotel reviews
- Hotel Kaiserhof
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 2, 2012
- City Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2012
- Steigenberger Hotel Thuringer Hof
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Hotel Auf Der Wartburg
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 5, 2013
- Goebels Sophien Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 9, 2012
- Penta Hotel Eisenach
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 4, 2007
- Villa Bomberg
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 4, 2012