"Cluj, the old Roman Napoca." Top 5 Page for this destination Cluj-Napoca by Askla
Cluj-Napoca Travel Guide: 259 reviews and 748 photos
Cluj-Napoca as Cluj-Napoca was established on October 16, 1974, celebrating the first document mentioning the place as "municipium" 1850 years earlier, in 124 under emperor Hadrian. Marcus Aurelius later in the 2nd century gained it the status of a "colonia". It became the capital of one of the Dacain provinces and therefor also the seat of a "procurator". However, it was abandoned already in 274, and there is no evidence of settlements in the area until the arrival of German merchants in the 12th century. There has been made archeological excavations on nowadays Piata Unirii which now shows finds from the Roman time.
The initial defense system consisted of earthen walls, but after the Mongol invasion tin 1241 they were later replaced with stone walls of which now only the Tailor's Bastion and a very short part of the wall remains. The settlement was granted city status by king Carol Robert on August 9, 1317.
I came to Cluj on too short visits in October 2012 and had not enough time to explore the town properly so what you will find here are just some of the most well known sights for a start. I will have to go deeper into the sights next time I go there and that will probably be quite soon since Cluj is an excellent place to fly to and then discover the area around.
Mihai Viteazul, or Michael the Brave, (born 1588) was Prince of Wallachia, Transylvania and Moldavia. He is known to... more travel advice
The first defence system was built in the 13th and 14th centuries but had to be strenghtened and rebuilt since the town... more travel advice
Askla's Related Pages
Cluj-Napoca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cluj-Napoca, a city full history"
- "Cluj-Napoca - Transylvania's cultural centre"
- "MY FIRST EXPERIENCE WITH LEI"
- "Cluj, the old Roman Napoca."
- "Cluj Napoca"
- "Welcome to my Cluj page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cluj-Napoca
- Hotels in Cluj-Napoca
- Transportation in Cluj-Napoca
- Nightlife in Cluj-Napoca
- Restaurants in Cluj-Napoca
- Shopping in Cluj-Napoca
- Warnings and Dangers in Cluj-Napoca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cluj-Napoca
- 18 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Cluj-Napoca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cluj-Napoca
Photos in Cluj-NapocaSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 73 reviews, 336 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 36 reviews, 130 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 32 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 25 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 32 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 31 reviews, 72 photos
- Trier Intro, 29 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amiens Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sighisoara Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue