"GNIEZNO - the cradle of Poland." Top 5 Page for this destination Gniezno by Askla

Gniezno Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 82 photos

First capital of Poland.
History of the city's name.

From the legends we learn that the mythical Lech (who was grandson of Piast, known to be the original founder of the Polish state) was out hunting with his brothers. He then saw a white eagle and its nest. A nest is GNIAZDO in Polish. Lech said he would build his own nation here, giving it the name from the nest and the white eagle becoming the emblem of his nation.

• In a nutshell:It was here it all started.
  • Last visit to Gniezno: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 14, 2012

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2012 at 10:09 AM

A very interesting page on our ancient capital. I am ashamed that I haven't been there yet. The hotel sounds great but I think that not many Polish people can afford staying there.

• Askla's Profile Photo
      Nov 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Is it really too expensive for Polisg people, even taken the weekend reduction into account? What a pity, then I shouldn't have stayed there either...

• evaanna's Profile Photo
      Nov 26, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Why not if you could afford it? Such hotels and many restaurants in Poland are meant for foreigners.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Lars, interesting little page about the birthplace of Poland. We have been there just two days ago. I am just wondering how you took the photos of the St. Adalbert's silver coffin? ;-)

Askla

“Traveling to learn”

Badges & Stats in Gniezno

Have you been to Gniezno?

Latest Activity in Gniezno