"Poznan, founded in 968." Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan by Askla
Poznan Travel Guide: 343 reviews and 921 photos
There has been a settlement at this place since the 9th century. Poland's first historical ruler, Miezko I, choosed in 968 Poznan as his capital and build the country's strongest stronghold. Nearly at the same time became Poznan the seat of the first Polish bishop. When Bohemian hords invaded in 1034 - 38 and destroyed the stronghold, the Polish rulers moved to Krakow and made that their capital.
Przemyslaw had a new town laid out on the banks of river Warta in 1253 with a large square in the middle. That town is the Old Town (Stare Miasto) in modern Poznan.
Today is Poznan the fifth largest city in Poland hosting ~560.000 people.
In the middle of the Old Town Square (140 x 140 meters) sits the old Town Hall. Originally a Gothic building from early 14th century it is later rebuilt in Renaissance style. The tower is 61 meters high.
Poznan got its city rights in 1253, but the coat of arms stems from the 14th century: it looks the same nowadays as it did at that time. There are the two patrons of the city, St. Petrus and St. Paulus on each side of a shield showing the Polish white eagle. There is also the castle meaning that Poznan was a royal city.
- Pros:Wonderful Town Hall.
- In a nutshell:Interesting town with easily reached sights.
Coming out of the Parish church you have a short way to the right, on the wall in the corner of the house in the... more travel advice
This church seems to have many different names: it is also known as The Franciscan Father's Church as well as St.... more travel advice
Askla's Related Pages
Poznan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "POZNAN - briliant elegant"
- "Poznan - Poland's trade fair city"
- "Poznan, founded in 968."
- "Stary Rynek, Poznan"
- "POZNAN THE PLACE OF MY BIRTH"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Poznan
- Hotels in Poznan
- Transportation in Poznan
- Nightlife in Poznan
- Restaurants in Poznan
- Shopping in Poznan
- Warnings and Dangers in Poznan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Poznan
- 33 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Poznan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Poznan
Photos in PoznanSee All Photos (107)
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 74 reviews, 336 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 36 reviews, 130 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 25 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 32 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 31 reviews, 72 photos
- Trier Intro, 29 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amiens Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berat Intro, 35 reviews, 49 photos