"A former private town, now a rennaissance pearl." Top 5 Page for this destination Tarnow by Askla
Tarnow Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 131 photos
During the 16th century Tarnów was a private town, owned by the Hetman Jan Tarnowski. (A Hetman was the title of the second highest military commander in Poland, Ukraina and Lithuania after the king, used in 15th to 18th centuries.) He owned alltogether five towns and it seems he developed them well.
Tarnów got its city rights on March 7, 1330, but was mentioned in the documents as early as in 1224.
The Tarnów region has quite a lot of well preserved wodden churches, Tarnów itself has got two. On the picture you can see St Mary's church, built in 1440.
Tarnów has the only museum in the world dedicated to the Roma people.
The Romas originates from India. They migrated through Persia and Balkan to Europe around year 1000. The word rom comes from the sanskrit word dôm which means "man, human being". Their language includes many words with Armenian, Iranian, Indian and Greek roots.
Today the Romas are estimated to be ~20 million of which ~15 million live in Europe.
The Roma people has always been pursued all over the world, lots of crimes being comitted this very day but the worst crime was of course done by the Germans during the World War II when they slaughtered and murdrered somewhere between 800.000 and 1.500.000 Romas. That is said to be proportionally more than the Jews ending their lives in the same way. We never hear about that. Why?? The Romas did also not get a country of their own after the war. Why?? Were they not a selected people??
The Town Hall, in the middle of the square which got its layout in 1330 and still isn't altered, is an imposing... more travel advice
When inside the cathedral don't forget to look at the ceiling and wall decorations! I always look at the ceilings... more travel advice
Askla's Related Pages
Tarnow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tarnow ~ beautiful & historical"
- "A quick stop off in Tarnow - (Tar-noof)"
- "A former private town, now a rennaissance pearl."
- "Ben-UK's Tarnow page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tarnow
- Hotels in Tarnow
- Transportation in Tarnow
- Restaurants in Tarnow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarnow
- 10 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Tarnow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarnow
Photos in TarnowSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 75 reviews, 339 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 72 reviews, 218 photos
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 38 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ravenna Intro, 33 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 35 reviews, 80 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 33 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fes Intro, 28 reviews, 78 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 24 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vilnius Intro, 32 reviews, 72 photos