"TORUN" Top 5 Page for this destination Torun by Askla
Torun Travel Guide: 245 reviews and 466 photos
Torun is my favourite town in Poland. Okay, okay, I haven't been to SO many Polish towns yet but among them I have visited, Torun is my favourite. When it comes to historical remains, the former Hanseatic town has one of the best preserved "Old Towns" in Poland. The population of Torun has also produced some famous persons like Nicolaus Copernicus: more on him in my tips.
In 1997 Torun's Old Town was included on the UNESCO World Heritage List. If only planning to see one Polish town in your life, then take under consideration to choose Torun!
A great part of the defence system from the 14th century does still exist. It was built up by the Teutonic Knights, who conquered almost half of Europe during the medieval times. Torun was one of their earlier outposts, and got city rights on 28 December, 1233. But the town expanded very fast so in 1264 a settlement near the original town also got city rights, later called the New Town.
Torun has a very fine treasure of old (medieval) wall paintings in the churches, making it very well worth the visit to town just just to see them.
- Pros:Very well preserved historic town.
- In a nutshell:If you have been here you will always want to come back.
Torun was founded by the Teutonic Knights in 1231 and granted its charter of the ‘Law of Che³mno’ two years later. It... more travel advice
What or who is this figure on the first two pictures?? Any ideas? The signs above "him", as well as on the pillar on the... more travel advice
Askla's Related Pages
Torun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "TORUN - real gem"
- "Torun . . . a pleasant discovery"
- "Architecture, Astronomy and ... Gingerbreads"
- "Torun - little Cracow"
- "Of Brick and Gingerbread"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Torun
- Hotels in Torun
- Transportation in Torun
- Nightlife in Torun
- Restaurants in Torun
- Shopping in Torun
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Torun
- 38 Reviews
- 133 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Torun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Torun
Photos in TorunSee All Photos (133)
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 75 reviews, 339 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 72 reviews, 218 photos
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 38 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ravenna Intro, 33 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 35 reviews, 80 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 33 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fes Intro, 28 reviews, 78 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 24 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vilnius Intro, 32 reviews, 72 photos