Luxembourg Things to Do Tips by Askla
Luxembourg Things to Do: 254 reviews and 432 photos
From the beginning the Neumünster Abbey was a hospital known as St John's Hospital but in 1547 Benedictine monks settled there and put up several new buildings. They stayed there until 1796 when they were driven out. The buildings have since been used in several ways but for 115 years from 1869 to 1984, there was a prison for men. However nowadays nobody has to be ashamed if he is seen coming out from the buildings since there is now the "Cultural Meeting Place of Neumünster", a major venue for culture.
Address: 28, rue Münster.
Directions: The Grund area, beneath the Chemin de la Corniche.
The Pétrusse Casemates were constructed in the 17th century by the Spanish.
Not as large as the Bock Casemates and also more limited opening hours.
Directions: The casemates are located beneath Place de la Constitution. There are steps taking you up or down.
The Bock Casemates consist of tunnels and passages carved by the Spanish in the 17th century (in 1644 to be exact) and was in use during the World War I and II to give shelter to the city's inhabitants. The first tunnels were 23 km but nowadays 17 km remains in good condition.
From March to October you can enter the casemates between 10.00 and 17.00.
Admission 3 Euro for adults, 2.50 Euro for children.
There are info signs in a couple of languages.
Directions: From the city centre go eastwards towards the Bock Promontary.
Before you start exploring the city on foot it might be good to take the sightseeing train Petrusse Express leaving every 30 min between 10.00 and 18.00 from late March to October. It starts from Place de la Constitution.
Cost 8,50 Euro for adults, 5 Euro for children 5 to 15 years old.
The Gëlle Fra (Golden Lady) is a statue on the godess Nike on top of a column. It was created in 1923 to commemorate the Luxembourgers who lost their lives in the first world war. The German nazis pulled it down in 1940 but after extensive restoration works it was once again in place in 1984.
When I visited, the Gëlle Fra wasn't at home! She was working - in the Luxembourg pavillion at the World Exhibition in Shanghai and she should not be put back in place until October. So I have to use the same pic as in the last tip since the train has its starting point right below Gëlle Fra. (That must be to recycle pictures, I believe...)
Address: you can't miss her
Directions: Place de la Constitution.
Luxembourg City is well known for its beatiful sights and especially for the Chemin de la Corniche which is sometimes called "Europe's most beautiful balcony". It follows the bend of the little river Alzette, opposite to the Grund area. There are info signs to follow when you walk the way round the bend and at the bottom of the valley, taking the small footbridge "Stierchen" across the Alzette and up the other side.
More Reviews (6)
Askla's Related Pages
Luxembourg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Luxembourg, an amazing fortress city"
- "Luxembourg - Capital of the Grand Duchy"
- "A VERY FUN CITY !"
- "The jewel among other giants"
- "Quietly self-contained......"
- "Luxembourg City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Luxembourg
- Hotels in Luxembourg
- Transportation in Luxembourg
- Nightlife in Luxembourg
- Restaurants in Luxembourg
- Shopping in Luxembourg
- Warnings and Dangers in Luxembourg
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Luxembourg
- 12 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Luxembourg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Luxembourg
Photos in LuxembourgSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 73 reviews, 336 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 36 reviews, 130 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 32 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 25 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 32 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 31 reviews, 72 photos
- Trier Intro, 29 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amiens Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sighisoara Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Luxembourg hotel reviews
- Mercure Grand Hotel Luxembourg Alfa
- 200 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Hilton Luxembourg
- 273 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Youth Hostel Luxembourg City
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Hotel Le Royal Luxembourg
- 202 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Grand Hotel Cravat
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Hotel Carlton
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Mercure Luxembourg Centre
- 133 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel Bristol
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Parc Belle-Vue
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Novotel Luxembourg Centre
- 215 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- City Hotel Luxembourg
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2013
- Sheraton Aerogolf
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Hotel-Restaurant Italia
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2012
- Hotel Empire
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Atel Christophe Colomb
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013
- Grand Ducal Palace- 22 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Cathedral Notre Dame- 25 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Walking around- 35 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Historic City Center- 37 Reviews, 61 Photos
- Monuments- 12 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Bridges- 13 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Gellen Fra (Golden Lady)- 8 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Churches- 6 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Museums- 12 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Having Fun, Passing Time- 5 Reviews, 4 Photos
See All Luxembourg Things to Do