"Grand duke Gediminas' town - Vilnius." Vilnius by Askla
Vilnius Travel Guide: 1,745 reviews and 3,594 photos
Vilnius was officially founded in 1323 by Gediminas, grand duke from 1316 to 1341. The town is presumably older than so, but this year Vilnius was mentioned for the first time in a document Gediminas sent to several European kingdoms and principalities. Merchants, craftsmen and artists were invited to settle in his country with its capital Vilnius - the capital in what is said to have been the largest big power during medieval times stretching from the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea and covering today's Belarus, almost the whole of Ukraine and great parts of Russia.
You might already have heard the legend about why Gediminas founded Vilnius at the site he actually did, but in case you haven't.....here it is:
Gediminas had been out hunting. Instead of riding all the way home to his castle in Trakai, 28km away, he decided to rest overnight on the neck of land where the two rivers Neris and Vilnia interconnects. During his sleep he had a dream in which an enormous wolf showed on the mountain above the camping-ground. The next day Gediminas asked his priests what could be the meaning of the dream. They said it meant he should build a town on top of the mountain where he had seen the wolf. They also said that the town would be widely known and last longer than the howling of ALL wolfs in the world.
Gediminas took their advice and built his capital.
The statue of Elektra stands on the shore of the river Neris. This present statue was unveiled in 1994 after the... more travel advice
Adam Mickiewicz, known to Lithuanians as Adomas Mickevicius, (1798 - 1855) was the Polish national poet. He studied at... more travel advice
Askla's Related Pages
Vilnius Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Very friendly, very historical and inexpensive :-)"
- "Vilnius - City of Churches"
- "Vilnius - mix of cultures"
- "The Wonderful Vilnius"
- "Vilnius - my grandparents' love"
- "THREE CAPITALS IN FIVE DAYS"
- "Vilnius in the springtime"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vilnius
- Hotels in Vilnius
- Transportation in Vilnius
- Nightlife in Vilnius
- Restaurants in Vilnius
- Shopping in Vilnius
- Warnings and Dangers in Vilnius
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vilnius
- 31 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Vilnius?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vilnius
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 73 reviews, 336 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 36 reviews, 130 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 32 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 25 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 32 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 31 reviews, 72 photos
- Trier Intro, 29 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amiens Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sighisoara Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue