"Grand duke Gediminas' town - Vilnius." Vilnius by Askla
Vilnius Travel Guide: 1,740 reviews and 3,585 photos
You might already have heard the legend about why Gediminas founded Vilnius at the site he actually did, but in case you haven't.....here it is:
Gediminas had been out hunting. Instead of riding all the way home to his castle in Trakai, 28km away, he decided to rest overnight on the neck of land where the two rivers Neris and Vilnia interconnects. During his sleep he had a dream in which an enormous wolf showed on the mountain above the camping-ground. The next day Gediminas asked his priests what could be the meaning of the dream. They said it meant he should build a town on top of the mountain where he had seen the wolf. They also said that the town would be widely known and last longer than the howling of ALL wolfs in the world.
Gediminas took their advice and built his capital.
Vilnius was officially founded in 1323 by Gediminas, grand duke from 1316 to 1341. The town is presumably older than so,... more travel advice
This church seems to have two names: the Church of Holy Mother, and the Assumption Cathedral. The latter name is used in... more travel advice
Askla's Related Pages
Vilnius Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Very friendly, very historical and inexpensive :-)"
- "Vilnius - City of Churches"
- "Vilnius - mix of cultures"
- "The Wonderful Vilnius"
- "Vilnius - my grandparents' love"
- "THREE CAPITALS IN FIVE DAYS"
- "Vilnius in the springtime"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vilnius
- Hotels in Vilnius
- Transportation in Vilnius
- Nightlife in Vilnius
- Restaurants in Vilnius
- Shopping in Vilnius
- Warnings and Dangers in Vilnius
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vilnius
- 32 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Vilnius?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vilnius
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 75 reviews, 339 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 37 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ravenna Intro, 33 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 35 reviews, 80 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 33 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 24 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vilnius Intro, 32 reviews, 72 photos
- Trier Intro, 30 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amiens Intro, 20 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue