"Kutna Hora, a former royal silver mining town." Kutna Hora by Askla
Kutna Hora Travel Guide: 336 reviews and 849 photos
Kutna Hora is an old town with well preserved buildings from the Middle Ages and the Baroque time. You should not leave without having seen the Barbora Cathedral, the most spectacular Gothic cathedral in the whole of the Czech Republic.
Other gems are St. James Church, the little castle Hradek, the Stone House, Vlassky Dvur or Italian Court and the Church of Our Lady just to mention a few. In 1995, historical centre, St Barbora Cathedral together with the "bone church" in Sedlec just out of town, was entered in the UNESCO Heritage list.
Unfortunately many of the more interesting sights were closed when I visited, since I went there in March already and that was too early of the year. But that just gives me a further reason to come back!
Kutna Hora is situated 65-70 km eastwards from Prague, and is easily reached both by bus and by train.
In the Middle Ages, Kutna Hora was the second most important town in Bohemia, surpassed only by Prague. The town's importance derived from the very rich silver mines which were discovered here. The processing of silver started in 1260 and lasted until 1727, when the royal mint (started by King Wences-
las II at the begining of the 14th century) was closed. However, the mine itself run out of silver in 1558, at that time being the deepest mine in the world, 500m deep, all dug out by hand.
Legend has it that a Cistercian monk named Anton had a nap after been working hard at the monastery vineyard. When he woke up he saw three pieces of silver protruding next to his face. He left his robe ('kutna' in Czech) on the spot to mark it and reported the discovery at the monastery. When the monks investigated further they found that this was just "the tip of the iceberg". Those three silver pieces showed to be the start of Kutna Hora's days as the richest silver mine in the Bohemian Kingdom.
But not all has been peaceful in the history around Kutna Hora. In the early 15th century the town became involved in the Hussite revolution and ~2.000 Hussites were thrown into the shafts of the mines by their Catholic pursuers. The town was also burnt down twice in that period, once by the each side of believers of the same religion. Well, it's always good to turn the other chin towards your enemy....
- Pros:A little town with big history.
The construction of the chapel started at the same time as the construction of the Cathedral of St. Barbora, in the late... more travel advice
The letters W and L on the balustrade of the presbytery represents the initials of Wladislaw Jagiello and his son... more travel advice
Askla's Related Pages
Kutna Hora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old bones Galore for the serious bone connaisseur"
- "North Bohemian Growing Pains"
- "Kutná Hora - treasury of the Czech Kingdom"
- "The Historical Kutna Hora.."
- "Kutna Hora - formerly rich of silver Czech town"
- "St Barbara Cathedral..."
- "Kutna Hora - A Day Outside of Prague"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kutna Hora
- Hotels in Kutna Hora
- Transportation in Kutna Hora
- Nightlife in Kutna Hora
- Restaurants in Kutna Hora
- Shopping in Kutna Hora
- Warnings and Dangers in Kutna Hora
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kutna Hora
- 22 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Kutna Hora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kutna Hora
Photos in Kutna HoraSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 73 reviews, 336 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 36 reviews, 130 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 32 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 25 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 32 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 31 reviews, 72 photos
- Trier Intro, 29 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amiens Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sighisoara Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Kutna Hora hotel reviews
- Hotel Zlata Stoupa
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Pension U Kata
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 18, 2013
- Hotel U Hrncire
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 8, 2013
- Hotel Garni Na Havlicku
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2012
- Medinek Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 30, 2013
- Pension U Soudu
- 1 Review & Opinion