"Olomouc from then till now." Olomouc by Askla
Olomouc Travel Guide: 253 reviews and 842 photos
The first mentions of Olomouc date back to the year 1017 when Moravia was joined to the Czech Premyslide state under leadership of the duke Bretislav. In the middle of the 13th century, the town was surrounded with city walls and declared officially founded. The 13th and 14th centuries were great building centuries, among others were the Town Hall and some churches built during that time.
King Wenceslas III was murdered when he in 1306 was preparing to start his campaign against Poland, ending the powerful Premyslid dynasty.
The second oldest university in the Czech Republic was founded here in 1576, only surpassed in age by the Charles University in Prague from 1357.
Jumping to the 17 century, Olomouc suffered a lot from the Thirty Years War since it was captured in 1642 by the Swedish army who stayed until 1650. By that time the population had dropped from ~30.000 down to only 2.000. But that wasn't enough, in the 18th century ths plague ravaged the town bringing it down on its knees once more.
Today Olomouc is the hometown for about 100.000 inhabitants.
Olomouc is nowadays perhaps best known for its astronomical clock, but there are many other sights to explore as well. Since the city is almost 1.000 years old there are many old buildings to admire if you like architecture.
Prague is known as the beautiful town of spires but Olomouc in fact have more of them!!
- In a nutshell:A beautiful town without the crowds of Prague.
The Archdiocesan Museum is housed in the renovated buildings of the chapter deanery on Wenceslas Square. You can see... more travel advice
The construction of St. Wenceslas' cathedral was started in 1104 by Prince Svatopluk but his death in 1109 prevented him... more travel advice
Askla's Related Pages
Olomouc Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "more than a smelly cheese !!!"
- "Olomouc- the hidden jewel of the Czech Republic"
- "Few days in Olomouc"
- "hund's Olomouc page for uncommon tourists"
- "Incognito in Olomouc"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Olomouc
- Hotels in Olomouc
- Transportation in Olomouc
- Nightlife in Olomouc
- Restaurants in Olomouc
- Shopping in Olomouc
- Warnings and Dangers in Olomouc
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Olomouc
- 16 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Olomouc?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Olomouc
Photos in OlomoucSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 73 reviews, 336 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 36 reviews, 130 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 32 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 25 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 32 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 31 reviews, 72 photos
- Trier Intro, 29 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amiens Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sighisoara Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (8)
Latest Olomouc hotel reviews
- Poets Corner Hostel
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 25, 2013
- Hotel Flora
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- Pension Na HradE
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Hotel Sigma Olomouc
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 6, 2011
- BEST Hotel Garni Olomouc
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2011
- Hotel Gemo
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2012
- Hotel Arigone
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Narodni Dum
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 23, 2010