"Second-largest monastery in Bulgaria." Bachkovski Manastir by Askla
Bachkovski Manastir Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 32 photos
The monastery was founded in 1083. It had its heyday during the Second Bulgarian Empire 1185 - 1396 but was ransacked by the Turks in the 15th and 16th centuries. The reconstruction began in the middle of the 17th century. The famous murals were painted in the 19th century.
Bachkovo is now the second-largest monastery after Rila. It is a working monastery so therefore no photos are allowed inside the premises.
Honestly I don't know why this monastery is so popular, I was disappointed. It's not that big, and the murals are way too new to be interesting.
At the foot of the way leding up to the monastery there are numerous of stalls selling souvenirs, food, bevarages, toys,... more travel advice
Askla's Related Pages
Bachkovski Manastir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bachkovo Monastery"
- "Bachkovo Monastery - Under Construction"
- "One day and one night inside Bachkovo Monastery"
- "Second-largest monastery in Bulgaria."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bachkovski Manastir
- 2 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Bachkovski Manastir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bachkovski Manastir
Photos in Bachkovski ManastirSee All Photos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 75 reviews, 339 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 72 reviews, 218 photos
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 38 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ravenna Intro, 33 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 35 reviews, 80 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 33 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fes Intro, 28 reviews, 78 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 24 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vilnius Intro, 32 reviews, 72 photos