"The former Bulgarian capital Veliko Turnovo." Veliko Turnovo by Askla
Veliko Turnovo Travel Guide: 279 reviews and 723 photos
Veliko Turnovo was the capital of the Medieval Bulgarian kingdom for more than two centuries, from 1185 to 1396 after the brothers Assen and Petar hed proclaimed the uprising against the Byzantine Empire.
The town was extended on three hills: Tsarevets, Trapezitsa and Momina krepost. They were fortified by up to 12 m high walls. Residential quarters were built on the slopes towards the river of Yantra and on its banks. The main entrance of the fortress was the west one. It was fortified by three gates.
Here in Veliko Turnovo, in the Church of 40 Martyrs was the Bulgarian liberation from the Turks declared by Prince Ferdinand on September 22, 1908. This day is now a national holiday and celebrated with extra grandeur in Veliko Turnovo every year with prominent guests taking part.
- Pros:A very appealing city centre, the old one and the new one.
- Cons:Very hilly means troublesome if impaired mobility.
- In a nutshell:I want to come back!
Going by train in either Sofia- or Black Sea direction means you have to change trains in Gorna Oryahovitsa, a 19 minute... more travel advice
I had a double room with castle view and the view was great. For that I paid 42 Euro for two nights. Kettle and fridge... more travel advice
Askla's Related Pages
Veliko Turnovo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City In The Mountains"
- "THE MOST CHARM AND LOVELY PLACE IN BULGARIA"
- "Onwards, onwards ever onwards..."
- "City of the Tsars"
- "Bulgaria's Medieval Capital"
- "Veliko Turnovo"
- "another VT: Veliko Turnovo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Veliko Turnovo
- Hotels in Veliko Turnovo
- Transportation in Veliko Turnovo
- Nightlife in Veliko Turnovo
- Restaurants in Veliko Turnovo
- Shopping in Veliko Turnovo
- Warnings and Dangers in Veliko Turnovo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Veliko Turnovo
- 11 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Veliko Turnovo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Veliko Turnovo
- Posted in Travel Stockholm Forum "Re: Stockholm during November"
- updated a Veliko Turnovo Travel Page "The former Bulgarian capital Veliko Turnovo."
- Commented on one of Askla's Veliko Turnovo tips
- Wrote a Review How to find the objects. in Veliko Turnovo General
- Uploaded a Photo to "The former Bulgarian capital Veliko Turnovo."
Photos in Veliko TurnovoSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 75 reviews, 339 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 72 reviews, 218 photos
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 38 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ravenna Intro, 33 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 35 reviews, 80 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 33 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fes Intro, 28 reviews, 78 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 24 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vilnius Intro, 32 reviews, 72 photos