"Amiens, wealthy from dyening with indigo." Top 5 Page for this destination Amiens by Askla
Amiens Travel Guide: 121 reviews and 346 photos
Amiens is nowadays perhaps most well known for the sound- and light show at the Cathedral, showing the statues from the Middle Age in their original colours. But there is also the Jules Verne's House where he lived from 1871 until he died in 1905. He married a woman from Amiens in 1857.
Amiens is an old city, it was known as the roman Samarobriva (bridge over Somme) as early as in the 1st century BOT. (It's said that Julius Ceasar spent the winter 54 BOT here.) It later changed its name to Ambianorum and from there the name Amiens has developed.
In the 13th century, the city became wealthy as a result of the textile dyening industry using woad, which was grown in the area. It gives the dye chemical indigo, a wonderful blue colour. Blue was very popular on clothes those days. (There is an interesting article about dyening plants at Wikipedia.)
During the ages, Amiens was conquered and/or given to rulers several times, the last time being in 1597 when it was taken over by Henry IV. From then on it has been belonging to France.
Amiens is nowadays home to ~135.000 people.
One of the largest collections of stained-glass windows in the whole of France is exhibited here, not far from the Cathedral.
- Pros:The laser-lit statues at the Cathedral are a must see.
- In a nutshell:A historical place, easy to reach.
Just in front of the two bronze tombstones there is a maze in black marble. It is 234 m long and used to serve as an... more travel advice
Saint Firmin was the first bishop of Amiens in the 3rd century. (Amiens was at that time a Roman town called... more travel advice
Askla's Related Pages
Amiens Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "We keep coming back and discovering more."
- "Amiens, wealthy from dyening with indigo."
- "In the shadow of the cathedral!"
- "A good base for a history lesson"
- "Le Macassar CORBIE"
- "Amiens, en Picardie"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amiens
- Hotels in Amiens
- Transportation in Amiens
- Nightlife in Amiens
- Restaurants in Amiens
- Shopping in Amiens
- Warnings and Dangers in Amiens
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Amiens
- 19 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Amiens?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amiens
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 73 reviews, 336 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 36 reviews, 130 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 32 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 25 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 32 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 31 reviews, 72 photos
- Trier Intro, 29 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amiens Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sighisoara Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (8)
Latest Amiens hotel reviews
- Best Western Grand Hotel De Univers
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2012
- Ibis Amiens Centre Cathedrale
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Hotel Victor Hugo
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- All Seasons Amiens Cathedrale
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Hotel Le Normandie
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 12, 2012
- Hotel Restaurant Le Prieure
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 12, 2013
- Le Macassar
- 135 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hotel Balladins Amiens/Longueau Confort
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2012
- Hotel Puvis De Chavannes
- 1 Review & Opinion