"The World Heritage Penang capital, Georgetown." George Town by Askla
George Town Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 318 photos
The history of modern Penang can be traced back to 1786 when Francis Light managed to persuade the Sultan of Kedah to cede Pulau Pinang ("the Island of betel nuts") to the British East India Company. Light landed at the site of the present Esplanade and the Fort Cornwallis. The island was originally named Prince of Wales Island and the settlement that soon grew up was named Georgetown after King George III.
In 1832, Penang formed part of the Straits Settlement with Malacca and Singapore. Penang, and most so Georgetown, flourished and grew to be a major trading spot for the lucrative trade in tea, fruits and spices, china and cloth. Later also in tin.
Penang remained under British controle until 1957 when Malaya got indepence and in 1963 formed the now existing Malaysia.
Georgetown has a lot of interesting and beautiful temples, as well as mosques and some churches. Among the temples you will find the only Burmese Buddhist temple outside of Burma (or Myanmar as it is nowadays).
The Nagarathar Sivan Temple is a temple dedicated to the Hindu god Shiva. It's a temple of South-Indian style. It is... more travel advice
One of Penang's and Georgetown's most popular attractions is the Tropical Spice Garden, which is located in Teluk... more travel advice
Askla's Related Pages
George Town Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "New UNESCO WHS : George Town (Tanjung)"
- "Georgetown - Penang"
- "My little home in Malaysia."
- "George Town, Penang"
- "Home Sweet Home - George Town, Penang"
- "The World Heritage Penang capital, Georgetown."
- "George town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in George Town
- Hotels in George Town
- Transportation in George Town
- Nightlife in George Town
- Restaurants in George Town
- Shopping in George Town
- Warnings and Dangers in George Town
- See All...
Badges & Stats in George Town
- 20 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to George Town?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in George Town
Photos in George TownSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 73 reviews, 336 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torun Intro, 36 reviews, 130 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 32 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 25 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 32 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 31 reviews, 72 photos
- Trier Intro, 29 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amiens Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sighisoara Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest George Town hotel reviews
- Tune Hotels. com Downtown Penang
- 655 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 13, 2013
- Hong Kong Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Jan 14, 2012
- Hotel Hong Ping
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- G Hotel
- 774 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Swiss Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 17, 2011
- Hotel Mingood
- 164 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Naza Hotel
- 152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013