"Trouser Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Hebden Bridge by Evenith666
Hebden Bridge Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 257 photos
Hebden Bridge is located in the borough of Calderdale, West Yorkshire. Home to about 5000 people, the market town is a great cultural spot with lots of history. Situated close to Halifax, it is a good day trip for anyone having an extended visit to the town.
I visited Hebden Bridge for a good few hours while camping on a VT meet in Triangle in June 2011, a small village nearby. I enjoyed my visit and would definitely go again.
The modern settlement of Hebden Bridge started life at Heptenbyrge, and was founded where the Halifax-Burnley packhorse route drops into a valley and crosses the river Hebden.
Hebden Bridge was ideal for water-powered weaving mills, with its steep slopes and good access to some of the biggest wool markets. The industrial boom of the North hit the town and it grew rapidly in the 19th and 20th centuries. At one time, the clothing industry in Hebden Bridge led to it being nicknamed The Trouser Town!
The wool trade also brought the Rochdale Canal and the Manchester to Leeds (Later Lancashire and Yorkshire) Railway.
The town took in many refugees from the cities during the second world war. Two bombs fell nearby during the war, although not targeted, they were simply enemy bombers emptying their loads before returning home.
Hebden Bridge had its own cooperative society, but in the 1960's it wnt bankrupt and disapeared. The old Co-op building then became a hotel and later flats. In the 80's, the Co-op returned with a supermarket on Market Street on the site of an old Mill.
- Pros:Lots to see and do here!
- Cons:Drinks are a bit pricey!
- In a nutshell:A lovely little town in West Yorkshire
This lovely little sweet shop had all sorts of sweets available by weight, and also others sold individually, and also a... more travel advice
Evenith666's Related Pages
Hebden Bridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hebden Bridge"
- "HEBDEN BRIDGE"
- "One of the World's Funkiest Towns-"
- "Trouser Town"
- "HEBDEN BRIDGE"
- "Artists, artisans, artistes, tourists and visitors"
- "Hebden and other views"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hebden Bridge
- Hotels in Hebden Bridge
- Transportation in Hebden Bridge
- Restaurants in Hebden Bridge
- Shopping in Hebden Bridge
- Warnings and Dangers in Hebden Bridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hebden Bridge
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Hebden Bridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hebden Bridge
Photos in Hebden BridgeSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 37 reviews, 59 photos
- Manchester Intro, 35 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockport Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Crete Island Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Chester Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos