"Liverpool" Liverpool by Evenith666
Liverpool Travel Guide: 1,328 reviews and 2,493 photos
Liverpool is a city and metropolitan borough in North West England, along the East side of the Mersey Estuary. It was founded as a borough in 1207 and granted city status in 1880.
Historically a part of Lancashire, Liverpool's growth was brought about largely because of its status as a major port. By the 18th Century, trade from the West Indies, Ireland and Mainland Europe, coupled with close links to the Atlantic Slave Trade, boosted its economic status. The port of Liverpool has meant that the cities population is extremely diverse, drawing from a wide range of peoples, cultures and religions.
The popularity of the 'Merseybeat' music scene, headed by The Beatles, has contributed greatly to making Liverpool one of the more popular tourist destinations in the United Kingdom. Tourism forms a substantial part of the citied economy. In 2007 the City celebrated its 800th Anniversary, and in 2008 it was European Capital of Culture, along with Stavanger, Norway.
In 1207, King John announced the foundation of Liverpool Borough. The original town was made up of seven streets, forming a '-H-' shape. These streets were; Bank Street (now Water Street), Castle Street, Chapel Street, Dale Street, Juggler Street (now High Street), Moor Street (now Tithebarn Street) and Whiteacre Street (now Old Hall Street). However by the 1500?s, the population of Liverpool was still only around 500. The 1600?s saw several battles for the town during the Civil War, including an 18 day siege. In 1669, the first slave ship, the Liverpool Merchant, set sail from Liverpool to Africa, and in the following years substantial profits from the slave trade allowed the town to grow. By 1800 Liverpool controlled 41% of Europe?s slave trade, and 80% of the UK?s. By the start of the 19th Century, 40% of the worlds trade was passing through Liverpool. In 1830, the worlds first Intercity rail link was created between Liverpool and Manchester. The population continued to rise, especially in the 1840?s when hundreds of thousands of Irish immigrants began to arrive as a result of the Great Famine, and by 1851 24% if the cities population was Irish born.
The city was heavily bombed during the Second World War, with 2,500 people dead and almost half the homes in the metropolitan area heavily damaged. Significant rebuilding of the city followed the war, including huge new housing estates and the Seaforth Dock, the largest Dock project in Britain.
- Pros:Nice looking buildings, both old and new
- Cons:not the cleanest place on earth
- In a nutshell:Alot more than just 'The Beatles'
Liverpool One is a new shopping and entertainment complex in Liverpool city center. It has more than 160 high street... more travel advice
The O2 Academy Liverpool is a great nightclub in the heart of the city. They regularly have live bands on, usually the... more travel advice
Evenith666's Related Pages
Liverpool Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Liverpool - European Capital of Culture 2008"
- "ACROSS THE UNIVERSE"
- "More Than The Beatles...."
- "Liverpool - a dream come true!"
- "Liverpool Revisited"
- "Beatles everywhere!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Liverpool
- Hotels in Liverpool
- Transportation in Liverpool
- Nightlife in Liverpool
- Restaurants in Liverpool
- Shopping in Liverpool
- Warnings and Dangers in Liverpool
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Liverpool
- 8 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Liverpool?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Liverpool
Photos in LiverpoolSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 37 reviews, 60 photos
- Manchester Intro, 35 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockport Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Crete Island Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Chester Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos