"Llanberis" Llanberis by Evenith666
Llanberis Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 300 photos
Llanberis is a small town in Gwynedd, North Wales. It lies in Snowdonia National Park, on the southern banks of Llyn Padarn, a glacial formed lake. The town itself grew up around the Slate Quarrying industry.
The town of Llanberis was orginally a Slate Quarrying town. However, since the closure of the quarrys in 1969 the main employers have been tourism and the near by Dinorwig Power Station, a pumped storage hydroelectric power station.
The ruins of Dolbadarn Castle, which stands above the town, date from the 13th Century. The Castle was famously painted by Richard Wilson and J.M.W. Turner.
Today, Llanberis is a popular base for ascents of Snowdon. The Llanberis path is the longest, and therefore shallowest and easiest, route to the Summit of the mountain. The Snowdon Mountain Railway, which closely mirrors the Llanberis Path to the summit of the mountain, also starts in the town. The town also holds the Welsh National Slate Museum.
- Pros:friendly place
- Cons:not that much to do
- In a nutshell:A great base for climbing Snowdon
The Llanberis path starts, obviously, at Llanberis, and is considered one of the longer but easier ways to climb... more travel advice
Evenith666's Related Pages
Llanberis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of Snowdon's Mountain Railway"
- "Llanberis - Slated"
- "A good tourist base......."
- "The Foot of Snowdon"
- "I DID IT THE HARD WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Llanberis
- Hotels in Llanberis
- Transportation in Llanberis
- Restaurants in Llanberis
- Shopping in Llanberis
- Warnings and Dangers in Llanberis
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Llanberis
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Llanberis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Llanberis
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 37 reviews, 59 photos
- Manchester Intro, 35 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockport Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Crete Island Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Chester Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos