"Not just goths and gravestones!" Whitby by Evenith666
Whitby Travel Guide: 388 reviews and 834 photos
The port town of Whitby is located on the East Coast of England in North Yorkshire. Close to the more popular holiday town of Scarborough, Whitby still enjoys its fair share of tourists throughout the year. The ruined Abbey dominates the town, overlooking the town and the north sea from high up on the East Cliff. The Abbey, ever a major landmark for sailors, helped inspire Bram Stoker's Dracula, no doubt Whitby's most famous attribute.
The town has several notable literary connections, but none more so than Bram Stoker's Dracula. Whitby served as the spot where Dracula landed in England, which served to incorporate the actual beaching of the Russian ship 'Dmitri', and Bram Stoker even discovered the name Dracula while at the library on Maine Parade. Thus, Dracula and general vampire memorabilia fills the shelves of many of the gift shops in Whitby, and fans of the novel can visit 'The Dracula Experience' to watch the story come to life.
Whitby has several other connections with literature, such as being the setting for Elizabeth Gaskell's novel 'Sylvia's Lovers' after she visited the town in 1859. It is also likely that Lewis Carrol's first works were published in the Whitby Gazette.
It is no coincidence, then, that Whitby is the spiritual home of the Goth subculture, hosting the biannual goth festival 'Whitby Goth Weekend'.
- Pros:Great culture and history here, plenty to see and do!
- Cons:Very hilly, very chilly!!
- In a nutshell:Try the Scampi!
Whitby is almost as famous for its Scampi as for its Vampires A type of Langoustine, also known as the Dublin Bay Prawn;... more travel advice
The Little Angel is a nice pub on Flowergate. It is a popular haunt for the Goths that flock to Whitby for the Goth... more travel advice
Evenith666's Related Pages
Whitby Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "East Coast Seaside Town"
- "Whistlestop tour of Whitby"
- "Whitby - Candyfloss and Gambling Halls"
- "I live near here"
- "Wandering Through Whitby"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Whitby
- Hotels in Whitby
- Transportation in Whitby
- Nightlife in Whitby
- Restaurants in Whitby
- Shopping in Whitby
- Warnings and Dangers in Whitby
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Whitby
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Whitby?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Whitby
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 37 reviews, 60 photos
- Manchester Intro, 35 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockport Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Crete Island Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bugibba Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos