"The Dead City" Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii by Evenith666
Pompeii Travel Guide: 1,002 reviews and 2,808 photos
The town of Pompeii was a bustling agricultural town and one of the main trading ports in Ancient Rome. However, tragedy struck the town in 79 AD when Mount Vesuvius, the volcano who’s immensely fertile slopes had given Pompeii its great wealth, erupted, covering the town in meters of ash and volcanic debris. The town, its people, and its story were lost for 1669 years when, in 1748, its remains began to be unearthed.
Pompeii is now one of the best preserved ancient sites in the world, second only to its neighbour, Herculaneum. The ash that covered the town preserved it remarkably, leaving things such as chairs, tables, and even food intact. It draws thousands of tourists from across the world, all seeking a glimpse of what life was like 2,000 years ago.
I was lucky enough to have a chance to visit the town in 2007, and it is a memory that will stay with me for the rest of my life.
- Pros:The greatest archaelogical discovery of all time, need I say more?
- Cons:alot of walking, but its worth it
- In a nutshell:A truely awe-inspiring and moving experience that will stay with you for your entire life
Over the cobbled streets, the buildings, the forum, and even vesuvius itself, the first thing most people think of is... more travel advice
The Odeon is the smaller theatre in the complex, built between 80 and 75 BC. It is architecturaly similar to Greek style... more travel advice
Evenith666's Related Pages
Pompeii Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The wonderful Roman town of Pompei"
- "The Dead City"
- "Striding across Pompei"
- "Frozen in time"
- "Pompeii: Rising from the Ashes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pompeii
- Hotels in Pompeii
- Transportation in Pompeii
- Nightlife in Pompeii
- Restaurants in Pompeii
- Shopping in Pompeii
- Warnings and Dangers in Pompeii
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pompeii
- 37 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Pompeii?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pompeii
Photos in PompeiiSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 37 reviews, 59 photos
- Manchester Intro, 35 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockport Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Crete Island Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Chester Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos