"The Dead City" Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii by Evenith666

Pompeii Travel Guide: 991 reviews and 2,751 photos

The town of Pompeii was a bustling agricultural town and one of the main trading ports in Ancient Rome. However, tragedy struck the town in 79 AD when Mount Vesuvius, the volcano who’s immensely fertile slopes had given Pompeii its great wealth, erupted, covering the town in meters of ash and volcanic debris. The town, its people, and its story were lost for 1669 years when, in 1748, its remains began to be unearthed.
Pompeii is now one of the best preserved ancient sites in the world, second only to its neighbour, Herculaneum. The ash that covered the town preserved it remarkably, leaving things such as chairs, tables, and even food intact. It draws thousands of tourists from across the world, all seeking a glimpse of what life was like 2,000 years ago.
I was lucky enough to have a chance to visit the town in 2007, and it is a memory that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

• Pros:The greatest archaelogical discovery of all time, need I say more?
  • Cons:alot of walking, but its worth it
  • In a nutshell:A truely awe-inspiring and moving experience that will stay with you for your entire life
  • Last visit to Pompeii: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 15, 2010

• Villefranche's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2010 at 12:38 AM

After reading about Pompeii at www.traveleurope360.com, i was so excited because everything was so fascinating. Then I went to Pompeii last year. And my excitement came to an end. I am quite unsatisfied.

• Jun 14, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I went to Pompeii in May but didn't get that souvenir of Cave Canem mosaic tile at the shop out side the entrance. Do you know of any way I could get one? Do they have a web site? I want an authentic piece not something from Cafe Press. Thanks, Betty

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Hello, Evan! Thanks for your wonderful illustrated story!....

• Balam's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Great tips and Fantastic pics. When are we going back?

Evenith666

“cram as much in as possible!!”

Badges & Stats in Pompeii

Have you been to Pompeii?

Latest Activity in Pompeii