"Big Sky - If you love to ski!" Big Sky by Tobbelkp
Big Sky Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 86 photos
First time I was in Big Sky was in 2005. I was participating in a conference and during the days there was a 4 hour break in the flood of papers, giving the people time for some recreation and then continuing with the conference until very late.
Since then I have returned a couple of time. The conference is great and so is the skiing.
Depending on weather and sun, there are a couple of areas to choose between. A typical start of the day is to take the Ramcharger lift and take some warm up runs in Ambush or Hangman´s. That are wide runs that are quite easy also for less experienced skiers. A little longer and tougher are Bighorn and Elk Park Ridge that ends at the Thunder Wolf lift.
If you ski between those you get mogules all the way! Great exercise
There are also some green tracks ending at the Southern Comfort lift.
Ponderosa is a slow dream, just floating down while you probably have to use your poles if you chose the rightmost track Deep South.
After a while it is time to relocate.
With the swift current from the mountain village it is not so far up to the bowl. A great view but if you hate mogules - forget it.
In the upper ski area I recommend to take the Lone Peak Tram up to the peak. Walk up to the top at 11.166 ft (3403 meter) and have a look at the view. There are many double black slopes down but I prefer to play safe so I usually take the way down on the back side, through Liberty Bowl.
It is nice to take a soak in the outdoor Jacuzzi afterwards.
- Pros:No lines, very good capacity
- Cons:Very remote, not the best communications. No bars in the slopes.
I first set foot at Huntley lodge in 2005. Since then I have stayed there 3 times and I plan to go again next... more travel advice
Tobbelkp's Related Pages
Big Sky Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Big Sky, Bigger Than Life!"
- "Big Sky, Montana"
- "Fishing in Big Sky"
- "Delightful surprises in Montana"
- "Big Sky Montana"
- "Big Sky - If you love to ski!"
- "Big Sky Ski Tips"
- See All...
- Hotels in Big Sky
- Transportation in Big Sky
- Restaurants in Big Sky
- Shopping in Big Sky
- Warnings and Dangers in Big Sky
- See All...
Explore the World
- Newton Corner Hotels
- Nograd Megye
- Saint Feriole Island Hotels
- Province of Zamboanga del Sur
- Ban Kata
- Whitefish Bay Hotels
- Gomshall Hotels
- Trenton Hotels
- Neu Isenburg
- Kolossi Hotels
- Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli
- Baile Herculane
- Tione di Trento
- Malolo Lailai Island
Badges & Stats in Big Sky
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Big Sky?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Big Sky
Top 10 Pages
- Bishkek Intro, 8 reviews, 27 photos
- Azerbaijan Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karakol 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Goa Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos
- Big Sky Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- China Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Tiraspol Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- South Africa Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Singapore Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Armenia Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
Latest Big Sky hotel reviews
- Huntley Lodge
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 11, 2013
- The Lodge at Big Sky
- 207 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- Rainbow Ranch Lodge
- 186 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Big Sky Resort Village Center
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- 320 Guest Ranch
- 121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Big Horn Condominiums at Big Sky
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 6, 2013
- Shoshone Condominium at Big Sky Resort
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 6, 2013
- Skycrest Condomiums at Big Sky Resort
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 29, 2011