"Bavaria in 6 days" Bavaria by hunter76

Bavaria Travel Guide: 12,685 reviews and 38,211 photos

Travel adventures with Scott and Olli

During the course of your life you will meet a lot of people. Many will pass you by with a smile and a wave, some you will befriend. The opportunities that can arise from these friendship's will simply amaze you.
This is the case for me, living on Cape Cod, Massachusetts and with my friend Olli Born of Nenndorf, Germany. We both met happenstance ten years ago through our work as police officers. We are married to great wives and each of us have wonderful children. We have the desire to learn about history and different cultures as well as the same interests of travel/adventure, photography and sports.
When we invited his daughter to spend this summer with us in America, Olli and his wife offered my wife an I a week in Bavaria. Unfortunately my wife could not make the trip due work commitments so I made the trip alone. If you get an opportunity to visit another country with a native of that country, take it! You will never learn or see more. We took routes of travel that I never would have taken if it were just me and my wife in a foreign country. Traveling with someone who knows the lay of the land, knows the customs and can speak the language fluently, made this an incredible experience for me.

Our trip spanned 6 days, driving from Hamburg to the village of Nussdorf, Bavaria at the base of the German Alps. We visited Rosenheim, Kehlstein House (Hitler's eagles Nest), Wendelstein, The Konnigssee and St. Bartholmew, The villages of Tegernsee, Berchtesgarten, Hohenschwangau, The castle of Neuschwanstein and two other castles of Ludwig II, Salzburg, Austria along with several biergartens along the way.

The countryside in Bavaria, as well as all of Germany is flawlessly beautiful. Views from the Eagle's Nest and Wendelstein were breathtaking. The charm of the local villages, both in their unique beauty and history is forever etched in my mind. The people I met along the way could not have been more welcoming, warm and nice.

The weather during our 6 days was partly sunny in the 70 to 80 degree Fahrenheit range for 4 of the 6 days. We scheduled Munich for our final day in Bavaria but changed our plans when heavy rain settled into the area.

Wendelstein Mountain

We took the 25 minute train ride up to the Wendelstein observation stop and then hiked to the top. The views of the alps and the Bavarian countryside were spectacular. Once at the top, we hiked the trail which takes you the the backside of Wendelstein, back down to the observation point.
The views to the Alms below were beautiful! The Alms are used by farmers to bring their cows from the low lands into the mountains where they can graze on the more nutritious mountain grass. Etched in my mind are the ringing of cow bells that can be heard at the summit from the cows below. It reminded me of watching skiing competitions in Europe on the Wide World of Sports as a kid.

Neuschwanstein Castle, Hohenschwangau, Bavaria

I visited Neuchswanstein Castle but I did not take a tour. I will return again however, this structure is amazing!

• Pros:Beautiful scenery, friendly people, great food and beer.
  • Cons:My stay was too short and I need to return.
  • In a nutshell:One of the most beautiful places I've been. I will return...
  • Last visit to Bavaria: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

Comments

hunter76

“"...Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"- Mark Twain”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Bavaria

Have you been to Bavaria?

Latest Activity in Bavaria