"Digha !!" Digha by mamtap
Digha Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 200 photos
In West Bengal, if some one says SEA then the name first comes into our mind is 'DIGHA'. Renowned for its beaches, beautiful sunrise and sunset, Digha is visited by thousands of tourists every year . It lies in East Midnapore district and at the northern end of the Bay of Bengal. Formerly Digha was known as "BEERKUL". Beerkul is referred in Warren Hastings's letters (1780 AD) to his wife as 'Brighton of the East'. Every year, mostly winters flocks of tourists can be seen here. It's beaches are ideal for sea bathing but sometimes accidents too happen. There are quicksands in Digha beaches in some places.
Digha is located 183 km from Kolkata. There is regular bus services to Digha from Dharmatala (Esplanade) Kolkata and many other parts of West Bengal. There is bus service from Kudghat Bus Stand with two buses daily at 6AM and 8.30AM. There is also service from Dumdum station. The bus leaves Dumdum at 7AM. 2 buses by CSTC from the bus stand near Ruby General Hospital start at 4:30AM and 4:45AM daily. There is bus service from Barrackpore at 6AM and 7.30AM. There is also frequent bus service from Howrah (Suburb of Kolkata) with buses leaving almost the whole day every 30 minutes or so. It is about 5-6 hours journey from Kolkata to Digha. But I prefer trains because it's fast and easy.
From Howrah (Kolkata) to Digha are the following trains:
12857 Tamralipta Express- Dep: 06:40 AM Arrival : 10:00 AM
12847 Duronto Express- Dep: 11:15 AM Arrival : 02:15 PM
18001 Kandari Express-Dep: 02:15 PM Arrival : 05:50 PM
It is advisable to make reservations in advance for weekends and national holidays.
Digha is ideal beach destination for a fun-filled holiday. The beach of Digha is famous for flat, hard beaches. It is also hard enough for vehicles to drive on it easily.The beach at Digha is supposed to be the widest sea beach in the world.
You can Swim, play Cricket, have Sunbath, Horse riding or play Football in the sea beach or catch a beautiful sunrise at Digha, a lovely way to begin the day. The main tourist hub is the New Digha, which boasts of a science centre and one of the largest marine aquariums in Asia. Another major attraction in New Digha is the Amravati Lake, which has boating facilities. A little exceptional attraction in Digha is the snake farm that is situated close to the Amravati Lake. Located at a distance of eight kilometres from Digha is an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, known as the temple of Chandaneswar.
- Pros:One can buy great souvenirs made of shells !Don't forget to bargain plz...
- Cons:Washrooms and Toilets in the Beach are not clean and hygienic !
- In a nutshell:Best way to spend the weekends and avoid the rush life of Kolkata !
I love seafood and Digha is a superb source for seafood. There are many cheap “restaurants” all over Digha, serving... more travel advice
mamtap's Related Pages
Digha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- " Digha-Mandarmani Kolkata's Weekend gateway"
- "Digha !!"
- "Digha A sea beach near home"
- "At Mandarmani beach"
- "March-ing to Digha"
- "Digha on Sea"
- "Digha - The Most Popular Sea Beach Of West Bengal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Digha
- Hotels in Digha
- Transportation in Digha
- Nightlife in Digha
- Restaurants in Digha
- Shopping in Digha
- Warnings and Dangers in Digha
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Digha
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Digha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Digha
Photos in DighaSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Nepal Intro, 14 reviews, 51 photos
- Dubai Intro, 11 reviews, 52 photos
- Pokhara Intro, 10 reviews, 43 photos
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 8 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Abu Dhabi Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos
- United Arab Emirates Intro, 2 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kathmandu Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- State of West Bengal Intro, 1 review, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bhutan Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Muhafazat Musandam Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos