"A Dead Town Returned To Life" Moab by RoscoeGregg
Moab Travel Guide: 419 reviews and 1,117 photos
When I visited Moab the first time in the mid 1970's It was like a ghost town. The uranium mining boom was over and it had become a real backwater with a housing over supply. I had just spent 21 days backpacking through the needles. Friends and I wandered down the streets. I have clear memories of vacant houses and empty store fronts. We walked down the middle of a deserted main street at mid-day eating ice cream. It felt almost like a post apocalyptic movie.
If I only had the foresight to buy one of those houses in 1978. I could retire on the sale and travel as much as I wished.
Sometime I think in the mid 1980's Outside magazine ran a cover highlighting Moab as "The Mountain Bike Capital of the World". It was like opening the flood gates.
Almost over night a wave of mountain bike devotes overwhelmed this little dack water town. Within a few years houses went from vacant to costing 100s of thousands of dollars.
My wife has a friend that lived with his family in the building that became Rim Cyclery and sold in in the 70's for a few thousand dollars. It sold in the late 90's (not sure of the date) for millions.
So if you have a time machine here is a great place to visit before 1980.
Even though it has come to feel a bit like Branson you can still enjoy Moab.
If you look there are a lot of locally owned business with owners that will go the extra mile to help you meet your needs.
We use it as a base for our back-country trips and it makes a nice place to resupply and for end of trip blowouts.
So look for the local and enjoy the funky desert town that almost died.
- Pros:It is in a great location.
- Cons:Publicity has been a bit too effective.
- In a nutshell:A great place to resupply.
This is a place we often stop for a light breakfast or lunch when in Moab. Like most of Moab it is relaxed and... more travel advice
RoscoeGregg's Related Pages
Moab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Nucleus of Activity Close to Here"
- "Where adventure Begins"
- "Red Rock, Slick Rock, Arches and Canyons"
- "Off Road Mecca"
- "3 Days in Moab"
- "Moab, UT - Nature at Its Best!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moab
- Hotels in Moab
- Transportation in Moab
- Nightlife in Moab
- Restaurants in Moab
- Shopping in Moab
- Warnings and Dangers in Moab
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moab
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Moab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moab
Photos in MoabSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 42 reviews, 150 photos
- Venice Intro, 18 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 13 reviews, 85 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Scott Intro, 26 reviews, 72 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 15 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pittsburg Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos
- Kansas Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos
- Arches National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos
- United States of America Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos