"A Perfect Place To Wake Up" Canyonlands National Park by RoscoeGregg
Canyonlands National Park Travel Guide: 209 reviews and 513 photos
%s6Steve McQueen said “Waking up in the middle of nowhere is better tan waking up in any city anywhere on earth”. I think he must have been thinking of this area when he said it. When I wake up in this park I feel at peace. It may be the air or the slick rock, I am not really sure.
This is a place that must be seen to be understood. So, if your are visiting the American southwest put this place on the list.
I hesitate to even write about this place. In the last 30 or so years I have seen a lot of negative impacts on this fragile bioregion. This is what is known as a brittle environment. It is very very very easily damaged. If you come here please make every effort to minimize your impact on the place.
Educate your self on minimum impact travel and camping skills. This will help you to get more from your time here and remember it with a clear conscience.
A single step off the path can destroy decades of growth and lead others to follow creating a destructive feedback loop.
While you can visit the Island in the Sky District by vehicle to really see this park you must be willing to drive and do some walking.
This park is split into 4 separate districts. Each one is unique. Each has a personality of it’s own and all are worth a visit.
1. The Island In The Sky is largely approachable by vehicle, mountain bike or jeep. It has grand panoramic views.
2. The Needles District has very limited areas open to vehicles. It is one of the premier areas in the U.S. to hike and back pack.
3. The Maze District is the most remote. It would be best to have a four wheel drive in all but the most favorable weather. It also is a park best seen on foot.
4. Horseshoe Canyon is a small set aside it is easily reached from green river. It has a fantastic day hike to some of the most wonderful Barrier Canyon style art work.
- Pros:You will never visit anyother place like it.
- Cons:It is very fragile.
- In a nutshell:Enjoy your visit but please take care of it.
This is one of the best mountain bike rides in the world. It is not technically challenging but it is spectacular. It... more travel advice
RoscoeGregg's Related Pages
Canyonlands National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of the Canyons"
- "Kimberlyann's Canyonlands National Park, Utah"
- "Basaic Canyonlands National Park Page"
- "Large Park Spread Over Miles"
- "Canyonlands, Island in the Sky District"
- "The Watermelon Settlement: Canyonlands"
- "Canyonlands - Remote, Tough, and Beautiful"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canyonlands National Park
- Hotels in Canyonlands National Park
- Transportation in Canyonlands National Park
- Restaurants in Canyonlands National Park
- Shopping in Canyonlands National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Canyonlands National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canyonlands National Park
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Canyonlands National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canyonlands National Park
- Posted in Travel Casper Forum "Re: March Clothing"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The White Rim Trail For a Great Adventure"
- updated a Canyonlands National Park Travel Page "A Perfect Place To Wake Up"
- Wrote a Review The White Rim Trail For a Great Adventure in Canyonlands National Park Things to Do
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Canyonlands National Park travel pages
Photos in Canyonlands National ParkSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 41 reviews, 147 photos
- Venice Intro, 18 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 13 reviews, 85 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Scott Intro, 26 reviews, 72 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 15 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pittsburg Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos
- Kansas Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos
- Arches National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos
- United States of America Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos