"The Road Trip Must See" Lucas by RoscoeGregg
Lucas Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 83 photos
Once the domain of free ranging nations of stone age men and the largest herds of ungulates ever recorded by humans. This town is in some ways not unlike any other town on the high plains.
It was built on the railroads and farming of the prairie. It was settled by first generation immigrants. It sent sons to war and nurtured those that returned and wept for those that did not. It struggled through the depression and the dust bowl years.
Some how it still hung on when others folded up shop. You will see the remnants of this tenacious struggle to keep going. It is a tale that will easily spark the imagination of people with an interest in the history of America.
There is a very quirky and interesting history to this town as well. This really sets this town apart and makes a visit on your road trip across America memorable.
Starting with the civil war pensioner and eccentric that built an impressive sculpture garden to the community of folk artists that call Lucas home today this is a must see on the prairie.
There is the pre depression Garden Of Eden. There are also several more recent art galleries dedicated mostly to folk art.
So stop and stretch your legs. This town will provide you with a tele of America for all your friends back home.
- Pros:It is unlike anything you will ever see.
- Cons:There is not more towns like it.
- In a nutshell:When you think road trip stop this is it.
RoscoeGregg's Related Pages
Lucas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A bit of Eden in Central Kansas"
- "Grassroots Art Capital of Kansas"
- "The Road Trip Must See"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lucas
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Lucas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lucas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 42 reviews, 150 photos
- Venice Intro, 18 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 13 reviews, 85 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Scott Intro, 26 reviews, 72 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 15 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pittsburg Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos
- Kansas Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos
- Arches National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos
- United States of America Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos