"Culture And Progression on The Plains" Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence by RoscoeGregg
Lawrence Travel Guide: 188 reviews and 398 photos
Like many of the other university towns in the mid-western U.S. it is small with most of the amenities that make a town pleasant to visit.
The down town is very well preserved. Every store front in the historic downtown is filled. There are lots of restaurants and things to do.
There are nice parks. The downtown is very pedestrian friendly.(for a town in the U.S.)
As the U.S. moved towards civil war Lawrence was at the center of the drama. Lawrence was a very pro free state town. After a womens prison burned in Kansas City killing the wives and sisters of many pro slavery guerrillas there was a retaliatory raid on Lawrence.
It was at least partially led by the famous William Clarke Quantrill. His men rounded up and executed all men over 14 yrs. They then burned the town. This raid was larger than most on the border. It was a drama that was replayed hundreds of times during the civil war.
Located in a little strip mall on the south side of Lawrence this place is well worth the visit. It is kind of small a... more travel advice
This is a fine place for breakfast and lunch. It is built around a great bakery. The bread is very well crafted. There... more travel advice
RoscoeGregg's Related Pages
Lawrence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "University Drives the Growth"
- "Lawrence, Kansas"
- "Home of the Phog"
- "Culture And Progression on The Plains"
- "jayhawk's new Lawrence page"
- "brdwtchr's new Lawrence Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lawrence
- Hotels in Lawrence
- Transportation in Lawrence
- Nightlife in Lawrence
- Restaurants in Lawrence
- Shopping in Lawrence
- Warnings and Dangers in Lawrence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lawrence
- 4 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Lawrence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lawrence
Photos in LawrenceSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 41 reviews, 147 photos
- Venice Intro, 18 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 13 reviews, 85 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Scott Intro, 26 reviews, 72 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 15 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pittsburg Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos
- Kansas Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos
- Arches National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos
- United States of America Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos