"A Town Rich In History." Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Scott by RoscoeGregg

Fort Scott Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 151 photos

A Snap Shot Of The Early West

Our town is built around one of the first frontier outposts built in Kansas when it was still a territory. This incredibly well preserved historic site was built as part of Jackson’s Native American removal program in the 1800’s.

This is a part of American history that is not well represented at other historic sites.

The old post was renovated and partially reconstructed in a joint effort by the Town, the State and the National Park Service. This is the most enduring part of our little town. We are lucky to have it. It brings thousands of visitors to town a year.

After the U.S. Army left in the late 1840s this became a small frontier town. It was front and center in the struggle over slave vs. Free State known as Bleeding Kansas and the American Civil War.

There after we became a classic American town. Railroads ranching you get the picture. We still have real cowboys. I have met them.

Great Visual Images

We are rich in old grand buildings and homes. We have a great city park. We have the full range of restaurants from Mc Crappy to fine Dining.

There are some very good Bed and Breakfasts and a nice renovated hotel. We have a renovated theater right downtown that hosts a variety of programs through out the year.

We are the home town of Gordon Parks. He is most famous for directing the film Shaft. This I feel is a bit unfortunate because as I see it this was not his best work. He was a fantastic photographer and poet. His work is displayed around town.

• Pros: Great history, very nice people, great place to visit
  • Cons: People pass us by too often
  • In a nutshell: A great small American town. Interesting and relaxing
  • Intro Updated Oct 18, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Randy, It sounds like you live in a beautiful place. The festival sounds like a must see, and I sure would love the garden tours!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I came to see any new updates, and discovered some. One day we may meet when I am down that way.

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Thanks for visiting and rating some of my various Kansas pages. I do like Kansas a lot. I drove through Fort Scott two days after the Joplin tornado (with an emergency factory load that had to Leave Joplin), and was indeed surprised to see that this was the home town of Gordon Parks. Nicely written home page...alan

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2011 at 7:37 AM

You certainly live near a lovely town with lots of history and tradition!

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2011 at 11:07 AM

The place where you live looks very nice, thank you for the tips, I could get a good impression of the town :-)

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Good advice that I would love to follow if I ever get there!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Great tips and photos -- I especially enjoyed the ones about history and food. I have added Fort Scott as a place that I would someday like to visit. Cheers!

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2010 at 1:17 PM

We would love all this. Just great.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Thanks for the glimpse into "life in Fort Scott"..It seems to have some significant historical attractions..I knew that the Civil War had reached areas of the American West but did NOT realize to what extent.Interesting page...Thanks again!

• Manara's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2010 at 3:22 AM

I would love to see one of those Civil War reenactments! I like to read pages that people write about their hometowns, especially whe they are interesting like this one.

RoscoeGregg Lives Here!

RoscoeGregg

“Go simple Go Light”

Badges & Stats in Fort Scott

Have you been to Fort Scott?

Videos in Fort Scott