"The Goode Life" RoscoeGregg's Profile

We Fell to Earth

We own a small organic farm just south of Fort Scott KS. We Raise a jersey cow, some goats, veg and keep a few chickens. We supply a couple of farmers markets and have a small CSA.

This means lots of work for very little money. We do love the freedom it gives us. Life where you set your own schedule is hard to quantify. It is not all about the money.

We Have Wide Ranging Interests

We have lived in several cities in the U.S. We have traveled widely in North America. Backcountry travel has been the main focus. I am a NOLS graduate and have never stopped visiting wild places.

Although since we started farming and living so close to nature, we find that we like to vist cities more than we used to. A fact that has many of our older friends baffeled.

When you hike around every day a musem trip, a good cup of coffee and some people watching is just what you need. 10 years ago I would have said no way to that.

Living Where We Choose

We carefully selected where we are living. The cost of living is low and the people are very friendly. We can take care of licensing the truck, paying the insurance, the post office and banking in less than 45 min. and never move the truck.

Our town is old for Kansas and very historic. There is a core of progressive citizens working to make this a great place to live.

We are involved in developing a more vital local food movement. ( no suprise given our vocation). We find our place chalenging and stimulating at the same time.

Wanderlust Started Early

I have loved travel since my earliest memories. I was raised in west Texas USA. Out there on the staked plains the people are a little spread out. It was not uncommon to drive two hours to have lunch with friends and turn around and head back home.

One of my fondest memories was sitting next to my Dad as he drove west on my first trip to the Rocky Mountains. The sun was rising and the light sublime. The morning was frosty and the brush looked like it was covered in diamonds. The smell of sage was sweet on the air. He felt warm against me and we were sharing a sweet roll. My Mom and siblings were all sleeping. Dad talked of his life as a boy in Texas during the dustbowl years. He gave some of my first pointers on how to fish.

After a morning like that I was hooked. Wanderlust became wired into my brain. I still am so excited before leaving for a new destination that I cannot sleep.

I attended mountaineering school after high school. This set me on a path to many of North America’s wild places. After years of travel in North America my list of places I want to visit is twice as long.

This type of travel was a great teacher. I learned to travel light and be flexible. I learned to rely on acquired skill and good partners rather than stuff.

Where We Are Now

25 years ago I met my best friend. Our 4th date was a two week backpack in the Utah desert. It has been pretty much a joy ride from there.

We still have many places in North America to visit. We have reordered our priorities and have decided to get to places overseas that we have put off. There are just too many places to see. It is hard to believe how lucky we are. We are finding meeting people with different backgrounds are as fascinating as wild rivers and mountains.

We have found VT a useful tool. Thanks to all those who have posted great tips.

Happy Trails

Just A Little Note On My Tips

I tend to write reviews about things I like. I see little purpose in writing about something that I found unsatisfactry. Why would someone read a review and then look for a crummy place?

I am no Polly Anna. I find my share of disapointments I just have chosen not to dwell on them.

• Intro Updated Oct 16, 2011

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!