"There's still so much to experience..." MTBManiac's Profile

Where do I come from?

I am living in my birth town Simbach, which is a small town (10.000 inh.) right on the border between Bavaria / Germany and Austria. On the other (austrian) side of the river between the two countries lies Braunau (20.000 inh.) which some of you may know as the birthplace of an evil man of darkest european history.
Simbach is on the german side but I am actually austrian (because my parents are) which is no big deal except I did not have to serve the army ;)

Living in the heart of central europe allows me to do a lot of short trips / city trips. But as you know, there's so much history an beauty in europe, I will never make it through ;)

Cities where I am pretty often, as they aren't far away from me, are Salzburg (45 min) / Munich (90 min) / Vienna (2.5 hrs).
The closest place on the mediterrean sea is about 4.5 hrs away, just across the alps ;)

What are my favors?

As I love being outdoor, I love being in the mountains, which begin after a 50 min car ride from my home town.
I enjoy snowboarding, hiking, mountain biking, stand up paddling on the numerous lakes we have around or just "being there", for example spending the night in a spa hotel with my wife.

But It's not only activity holiday I love. I enjoy visiting cities as much, of course with large cultural / historical components.
I can't deny that from time to time I love to spend some time doing "nothing special", just relaxing and enjoying landscapes and local food.
I'm not the package holiday type of guy on the other hand. I guess most of us VT members aren't ;)

Why am I on this platform?

Although I went to university in Munich, I still do not know every sight of this city, which explains the homepage title.

VT with all the advices and experiences of other travelers gives me the opportunity to concern with my next travel destination.

First time I got in contact with this site was in 2008, while planning a trip to NYC. I love the "off the beaten path" advices and my fellow-travellers always love me when I share those specialties with them ;)
Of course I love to see the famous, spectacular sights of a city (what would a Paris trip w/o Eiffel Tower or a Rome trip w/o Collosseum be?). But often it's some hidden detail that remains in mind forever.

• Intro Updated Dec 27, 2013

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
MTBManiac's Profile Photo

MTBManiac

“Try to act like not being a "typical tourist"”

Ranked Member